Full cave and Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver once bubbled...
Nah- We deco out the Eye becuase you don't have to dela with all that flow blowing you around, and you can wedge up in the ceiling and inslate the crap outta your drysuit and get all comfy.
Are you involved with the mapping that's going on way, way back in there?

Roak

The Pirate once bubbled...

Like a bunch of puffer fish. :D Actually if its been a long dive with a significant deco obligation, a good place to puff up on the ceiling is a must to stay warm, since for the most part there is very little movement to help keep warm.

The Pirate :pirate:

So if I have a long line hang, I really need a big overweighted buddy I can get underneath and...

Jeez, I love good dive tips :mean:

Phil

So if I have a long line hang, I really need a big overweighted buddy I can get underneath and... Jeez, I love good dive tips :mean: Phil

You'll never have a line hang on deco in a cave. This is the cave diving section isn't it? In the ocean your bottom times should be short to avoid long deco obligatgions.

You'll never have a line hang on deco in a cave. This is the cave diving section isn't it? In the ocean your bottom times should be short to avoid long deco obligatgions.

Was refering to openwater. Sorry, did not mean to silt up your forum.

Long bottom times is why we have mix :D

Phil

... did not mean to silt up your forum.
Good one!
Long bottom times is why we have mix
Actually a better reasoning for using mix is to reduce narcosis and nitrogen exposure. This applies regardless of the environment.

You'll never have a line hang on deco in a cave. :pirate:

I installed a hang line in a deeper system that I've been working for the past few weeks. Room goes from 120 to 40 vertically, then a quick run, then 50 to 20. I dropped a block and tied a lift bag on the other end, then filled the bag at the ceiling, swam down, and tied in.
Works like a champ. Knotted in 10 foot intervals to facilitate easy deco.

Most cave training dives in Florida are done at depths less than 100' and the exposures will most likely not exceed 45 - 60 minutes each. By the time you get back to the cavern zone you most likely won't have any deco obligation.

Wow....I'd love to not have any deco obligation by the time I get back to the cavern zone....but I think I've only dove 3 systems in the past year that I don't incur deco on 95% of the dives....Telford, Peacock(main system only, not PIII), and Lafayette Blue. Most of the systems are deep enough to incur mandatory deco if you're in 'em for any length of time. I generally come out of places like Ginnie with 15-20 minutes of mandatory deco(90-120 minute bottom times). Deco times increase significantly when you start throwing in stage bottles, scooters, etc. At the deeper cave systems around(most in the 120-150 range) you're into deco within a few minutes of entering.

I have dove with people that deco on backgas, and in one instance that meant a 75 minute deco time for him while I was good to go after 25 minutes. I don't know how they do it. Long deco times suck...so I do whatever I can to shorten 'em with gas mixes.

In reading another thread, a full cave certified diver was talking about taking an advanced nitrox class. As I would equate cave, and more so, full cave divers to be doing fairly deep, long exposure dives, I was surprised that adv nitrox style deco (50%) would not be required before the full cave.

Deco procedures are addressed in the Apprentice and Full cave courses, but they are certainly not covered well enough. I went through Adv Nitrox and Deco Proc before I did my App/Full cave. I know several people that are Full Cave that do not understand deco procedures....or things like air breaks....or CNS clock.. I've seen people spend 40 minutes straight on pure O2 at 20' after a 2 hour dive with a PO2 of around 1.4. I was just waiting for 'em to start doing the funky chicken.

Mike

Most people who cave dive use O2 for deco and most are not "certified" for it. You can get an O2 bottle filled at any "cave" shop in N FL and never be asked for a card of any kind much less an Adv. Nitrox card. I took Adv. Nitrox so I wouldn't have trouble getting (or being permitted to use) deco gas when I went to other places like S. FL or North Carolina.

"Full Cave" I've found varies quite a bit from instructor to instructor. Some like to do stages and real complex navigation, some like to do mapping, some like to do deco, some just do dives.... not saying that's the way it should be but that's the way it is at least in what I've observed.

Raokey-

I'm not involved in anything at Ginnie, frankly I hate the place and avoid it like the plague!

chickdiver once bubbled...
Raokey-

I'm not involved in anything at Ginnie, frankly I hate the place and avoid it like the plague!

Why?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom