Full cave and Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. too many people (in general)
2. too many divers (to be specific)
3. too much money for too little return
4. too many weirdos
5. *Possibly the MOST important, as I could overlook the others* the cave is just not impressive to me, it is horribly damaged (as are most caves in that area), even in the "farther" reaches, though it does marginally improve beyond the Hinkel.

IMHO- Ginnie in general is a perfect example of everything I find wrong with the "Cave diving community", in my 7 years of cave diving I have done only a handful of dives there, and most of them were during training. The only redeeming feature I find about the whole place is that it is an easy and convenient place to teach Cavern, but then one gets to deal intimately with the employee bureacracy there, ehich is a whole OTHER topic.....

I do more cave diving in Missouri than I do Florida so I'm not used to crowded caves. there aren't crowds of cave divers in Missouri or at least I haven't seen them. I have seen Peacock on a busy weekend though and I didn't like it much.

I haven't dived Ginnie yet but plan to spend at least one day there when we're down in March. I have skipped every trip so far mostly because of the cost. I have three divers in the family so a day at Ginnie isn't cheap.

I understand what you mean. I do most of my diving in Marianna, where other teams can be few and far between!

Hi Mike,
There are about 8 more dives needed in Ginnie to finish the survey.

Also, I agree with a few of Chickdiver's points regarding Ginnie. I bought an annual pass last year for diving during the day. The place is a zoo during daylight hours and forget trying to dive on the weekends. I dive the place mostly at night when there is nobody else around or the few who are in the water are with me. There are some spectacular spots, but one wouldn't find the great spots in 10 to 20 dives at the site.
Cheers

Divesherpa once bubbled...
Hi Mike,
There are about 8 more dives needed in Ginnie to finish the survey.

Also, I agree with a few of Chickdiver's points regarding Ginnie. I bought an annual pass last year for diving during the day. The place is a zoo during daylight hours and forget trying to dive on the weekends. I dive the place mostly at night when there is nobody else around or the few who are in the water are with me. There are some spectacular spots, but one wouldn't find the great spots in 10 to 20 dives at the site.
Cheers

Divesherpa

The the best way to find the good stuff would seem to be to talk you into doing a little guiding.

chickdiver once bubbled...
1. too many people (in general)
2. too many divers (to be specific)
3. too much money for too little return
4. too many weirdos
5. *Possibly the MOST important, as I could overlook the others* the cave is just not impressive to me, it is horribly damaged (as are most caves in that area), even in the "farther" reaches, though it does marginally improve beyond the Hinkel.

IMHO- Ginnie in general is a perfect example of everything I find wrong with the "Cave diving community", in my 7 years of cave diving I have done only a handful of dives there, and most of them were during training. The only redeeming feature I find about the whole place is that it is an easy and convenient place to teach Cavern, but then one gets to deal intimately with the employee bureacracy there, ehich is a whole OTHER topic.....

I was aware of 1,2,3 and suspected 5. What worries me most is 4-too many weirdos. please elaborate. We are probably going there this weekend for cave class (intro). maybe we can protest and revolt. I don't want to be involved with weirdos, especially in a cave.

Izajane-

Good luck with your course this coming weekend. As you may be aware from my previous posts, I am a staunch DIR advocate. Saying that there were "too many wierdos" at Ginnie was my way of saying that there is often a large crownd of people from the "personal preference" side of the fence doing things that are, too me, outrageous. Being newer to the sport I am sure you won't see any true "weirdo's" out there.

Have fun.

chickdiver once bubbled...
Izajane-

Good luck with your course this coming weekend. As you may be aware from my previous posts, I am a staunch DIR advocate. Saying that there were "too many wierdos" at Ginnie was my way of saying that there is often a large crownd of people from the "personal preference" side of the fence doing things that are, too me, outrageous. Being newer to the sport I am sure you won't see any true "weirdo's" out there.

Have fun.

that makes me feel better. I was envisioning people leaving breadcrumbs to the entrance who have a sticker on their tank that says "when these are empty I'll just beat you up and steal yours". Over active imagination....:D

seriously, No, I did not know you were staunch DIR so had no reference, but it makes more sense now.

and thanks, we are very excited!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Divesherpa

The the best way to find the good stuff would seem to be to talk you into doing a little guiding.

As long as you don't call people weirdos because they have a different name on their drysuit and don't take advice from the same group that you do, I would be more than happy to show you some nice cave in Ginnie. Also be aware that I don't use helium for a 105 foot dive.

Cheers and safe diving

Divesherpa once bubbled...

As long as you don't call people weirdos because they have a different name on their drysuit and don't take advice from the same group that you do, I would be more than happy to show you some nice cave in Ginnie. Also be aware that I don't use helium for a 105 foot dive.

Cheers and safe diving

I promise not to call you a weirdo for not taking advice from my wife. I will easily get over it if you don't have a Whites dry suit. And...while I love my helium even I am ok with going to 105 without it. Deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom