Ft Wetherhill Rhode Island Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found this one female seahorse after two hours of searching.
I’ve heard octopus and torpedo rays are found in Ft Wetherhill as well but on night dives. I get hit like a hailstorm by the dang baitfish on night dives

A seahorse at FW in RI????? Are you serious?

I know someone who finds them frequently there.

2 weeks the squid were out and not being shy.

Care to share where you spotted the seahorse? May head out this weekend.

I'm debating on this weekend. Rain forecasted Friday through Sunday.

Yes, looking iffy right now. Was hoping sat am would be okay

A seahorse at FW in RI????? Are you serious?
Seahorses are common inshore here in New Jersey. I've seen as many as a dozen inside Barnegat inlet during a single shallow dive, on dock pilings and in eel grass. Tropicals are common in R.I. as well as here in NJ in late summer, carried up in the Gulf Stream. I've found seahorses as far north as Massachusetts, but here in NJ and in R.I. they are numerous. Seiners catch them on occasion in the Hudson River. Hippocampus hudsonius is the old scientific name of the local seahorses, found from Maine to Florida.

Yes, looking iffy right now. Was hoping sat am would be okay
Both times I found a seahorse it was in very shallow water, thus the colorful seaweed in the photo. This time it was hiding under the fuzzy seaweed, in about two feet of water right at center of beach, 1/2 way between the ramp and the rock on the far side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom