Ft. Myers Beach Pier Clean-up October 6 (new date)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian, what I meant is that if I borrow one of your tanks, will they fill both of your tanks for free for the day?

DebbyDiver:
Brian, what I meant is that if I borrow one of your tanks, will they fill both of your tanks for free for the day?

I get free air fills as it is. I don't have to pay for them because I work with the shop.. so the answer is I don't get charged.....

If you are bringing your own tanks and need them filled, let them know you are doing the pier clean-up and they should fill them for free if not ask that they call me......

Great, thanks for letting me borrow a tank so that I can save gas by driving my tiny car over! :)

Well we did the pre dive inspection this morning, and what fun.

Here are the details.
Vis was about 3-4' The bottom structure changes from sand to reef and back again. mild current switching directions throughout the dive, not alot of surge due to the hour of the dive. Most of what I saw for trash was beer cans and general plastic trash, one lounge chair couple of rod/reels, Paul saw more on the inside of the pier.

Monofilament can be found on several pilings and around the reef structures.

Sting Rays are going to be an issue for us, They have buried themsevles and are spooked easily, as paul's flashlight was hit when he shined the light on the ray, Boyouncy control is a must have around these guys. NO Laying on the Bottom. Plenty of fish around the structure and pilings, Crabs can be found all over the place. Tons of fish....

I have spoken with Joy from the FL Sea Grant and we have agreed to waive the requirement for Dan Insurance or any dive Ins. but you must still be AOW or equiv. Diver with documented proof of Low Vis dives and such as required for this cert may attend.

We will not be holding a meeting prior to the event unless we get alot of interested divers from the local area, those coming from out of the area wouldn't be able to make it, so with that in mind we will have the standard briefing prior to diving to cover them, and to go over other information and questions.

Be on time to the meeting which will be held at 6:45 AM on the 22nd, in the parking lot at Lynn Hall Park on Ft Myers Beach. If you need directions to this area let me know and I will see if I can find a map or email you the driving directions.

Any divers that shows up after the briefing has been given WILL NOT be allowed in the water. Period. All divers must check in and waivers signed before entering the water. The pool will be open following the safety meeting until about 8 A.M. after that time divers will not be allowed in the water. Joy Hazell will be checking divers in/out of the water, make sure you see her, or myself prior to leaving from the clean-up, so we can make sure everyone is accounted for,
Bring your dive flags!!!! Divers that want to wander away from the pier to explore for trash must pull a flag, those around the pier will not need one unless you want too for safety.

Make sure you bring gloves if you have them, as I still have not been able to get donations for them...

Any questions please feel free to PM me or call me at 239-878-0820
See yall soon........

Question. How will the trash that we pick up be transferred to shore? Will we have topside support? Over here with OceanWatch, we have folks on the pier with 5gal buckets with holes in them lower the buckets to us. We then can unsnap the buckets from the line if we need to take the bucket to the trash vs. taking the trash to the bucket. When the bucket is full, we give a good couple tugs on the line and it gets lifted.

SharkBaite:
I have two couch's and one of them is just your size LOL.....:rofl3:
I am wondering why you are laughing...hmmm....:blinking:

SharkBaite:
If you need directions to this area let me know and I will see if I can find a map or email you the driving directions.

YES I DO! :wink: debby.bradford <at> yahoo <dot> com

6:45 a.m. huh? :11: Better reserve one of those couches for me after all. I'd still like to drive the leetle beety teenie weenie car to save gas, so please save me a tank. :crafty:

Scuba_Jenny:
Question. How will the trash that we pick up be transferred to shore? Will we have topside support? Over here with OceanWatch, we have folks on the pier with 5gal buckets with holes in them lower the buckets to us. We then can unsnap the buckets from the line if we need to take the bucket to the trash vs. taking the trash to the bucket. When the bucket is full, we give a good couple tugs on the line and it gets lifted.

Yes we will have topside support just like Pompano, you bring it to the suface and they will haul it up...

How deep? I am a bit concerned going up and down in the water column too many times. Any more than a couple the whole dive is a concern....what do ya'll think?

How deep? I am a bit concerned going up and down in the water column too many times. Any more than a couple the whole dive is a concern....what do ya'll think?

I guess I forgot that in the report huh...... 10' I don't think you'll have to worry about the ups and downs.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom