Ft Lauderdale one tank boat dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cubalake

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Four of us arriving 9 am to FLL 9/9. Plan to dive the Blue Huron at 5:30 pm as it is the most favorable tide time. Since we have hours before the bridge dive we would like to do a boat dive but prefer only one dive, not two.

It is the slow season for dive shops so perhaps there is a boat that would go out for one tank diving. Any thoughts who that might be?

Our other option is a shore dive and we'll investigate that if we can't find a boat dive. Suggestions on sites in the Blue Huron bridge vicinity?

The only boat that I know of that does one tank dives, is Scuba Club of the Palm Beaches....most divers prefer 2 tank dive trips, so this is pretty much your only choice...
As to slow season.....summer and fall are High Season for Palm beach diving.....Aug/Sept is best time of the year to see huge aggregations of Goliath Groupers.

This IS a good time for cheaper hotel rates, as it is the shoulder season hotels in S. Florida.

You could try calling Force E in Riviera Beach - but I recently tried to dive on a boat the same day that I flew - it was a disaster... Just sayin... Everything is late when you are in a hurry...

I won't try it again... :D

As to shore dives.....While possible on the island of Palm Beach, in front of the Breakers Resort....the timing would be problematic, and the work needed crazy to do both.

A better option would be to just get in "early" at the BHB....even 2 hours early is possible at BHB...If I read your post right, and you want to dive on 9/9......the high tide is 6:49 pm..sunset at 7:31pm...meaning you have a twilight to night dive at BHB that day, for the hour of slack high tide. You could easily begin at 5:30pm...and could bring or rent 2 sets of tanks for each person in your group. There is incoming tidal current this early, but in front of the beach, it is less annoying, and you can also find places where you can hide out of the current--behind big structures. Vis is very good prior to hide tide...and gets poor an hour after high tide or so....

The actual high tide on July 9 is 6:45 pm. At BHB, you need to be in the water at least an hour ahead of high tide (I prefer an hour and a half), which means splashing at 5:30, which means arriving at 5:00.

If you are leaving FLL airport by 9:30, you are too late for any morning dive boats. Afternoon boats leave at 1:00 am get back at 5:00 but sometimes run a little late. The boats, however, dock very close to the bridge (10 mins) so it is possible that, working with the shop, they could have a tank waiting for you at the dock (or even on the boat), you could swap out gear, and make it to the bridge in time for the dive. It would require precise timing, but do-able. All the boats docking close to the bridge, however, only do two-tank dives, but that is pretty painless given how good the diving is around here.

Another option, which would be better, is to go from the Airport and do a beach dive at Lauderdale by the Sea which is north of the airport and on the way to West Palm. This is about half an hour from the airport and is an excellent shore dive, maybe the best in S. Florida. There is a beautiful coral reef a couple of hundred yards offshore and has a lot of hard and soft corals, and plenty of tropical fish. Call Gold Coast Scuba which is 2 minutes from the dive site, and they can give you all the info you need. So, you could go to the shop, park, gear up, and be in the water by 11:00 and be done by 1:00. You wouild then have plenty of time to return your gear and drive up to the bridge which is about an hour and a half drive, getting you there by 3:00 or 4:00 with plenty of time to get a tank and be in the water by 5:30.

Enjoy!!

A little confusion on your dates. I think you are saying arrival in FLL Sept 9th? With slack high tide at 6:45. Trouble is weekdays even 2 tank options leave am. Much too early for you to make. I agree with BRD and Dan, just prolong your BHB dive.

Or as Guy suggested with Lauderdale by the Sea if you feel high energy and want to maximize your dives for that day.

Then again, his boat was out of the water for our planned trip this May so have never dove with him but I think Kevin with Underwater Explores has an afternoon dive and is highly recommended on SB. May be worth the effort if you could dive the Castor. But I don't know the travel time from FLL.

The Scuba Club is the only shop I know that does one tank dives too. But Wednesday is one of the days they schedule two tank dives. I like the idea of calling Force-E: maybe they can help you charter a six pack.

With four of you, you could indeed book Kevin's boat, Underwater Explorers, in Boynton Beach. I and many others are a big fan of his, and, more to the point, he is a six pack and the four of you would control the trip. That way, you could set your own departure time. This actually might be your best option for a couple of reasons.

The Castor, a wreck off of Boynton, is one of the best wreck dives around the entire area and in fact is my personal favorite. It is big, high profile, and covered in colorful sponges and orange cup corals. Don't forget your dive lights (you will need them at the bridge, as well). Even better, in September the Castor will be packed with Goliath grouper in their annual spawning aggregation. You might see 30 to 70 600 pound fish surrounded by swirling bait balls--one of the best "big animal" dives anywhere on earth, seriously. Boynton also has fantastic reefs, for the second dive. However, if you control the trip, Kevin might be willing to do only one dive. However, I really recommend a second, leisurely dive on a shallow reef, as the reefs at Boynton are great and you will not save too many $$ by cutting the charter to one dive--take advantage while you are here!

For me, a two-tanker, one on the Castor for big animals and one on a reef for corals and all sorts of tropicals, and then a dive later at the bridge for oddball macro critters, would pretty much meet my definition of a perfect day of diving. I am talking myself in to going along!! :) The castor is an advanced dive, with the bottom at 110 and sometimes strong current to contend with, but from the number of dives I see in your post should not be an issue. Just wanted to let you know. You will want 34% and to rent a steel 100 if possible to max your bottom time. Kevin can get those for you. By the way, you might not spend hardly any time at 110, as the best parts of the wreck are from 75 to 90 feet and its more enjoyable to extend your dive by staying at those levels.

The schedule would be easy with a 9:00 am arrival. From FLL allow an hour to Boynton. So, say a departure with Underwater Explorers at 11:00. Return by 3:00. Boynton is only a half hour from the bridge. Load up and be at a shop near the bridge by 4:00, get tank,s and you are good to go for a 5:00 or 5:30 splash with plenty of time to eat in between.

If for some reason Underwater Explorers cannot do the trip (I would call them now to book as September is very busy due to Goliath season), you can also contact Splashdown Divers, another operator we really like and use all the time. Her boat is bigger, though, (she runs 12 divers) and you need to see if she will run with 4 people and let you set the departure time. She very well might do that so by all means contact her. My wife and I might even go as well to get her six, and I know she will go with 6.

Boynton Beach is about 30-35 miles North of Ft Lauderdale and the BHB is another 15+ miles North. Sept 9 is currently open on the Underwater Explorers calendar, morning and afternoon, but September is already filling up quickly for GG aggregation. Steel tanks are not generally available.

cubalake, I would call Kevin Metz (561-577-3326) to discuss this unusual plan, it's possible it could work out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom