Ft. Lauderdale/ Key Largo Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go to Key Largo 2 or 3 times a year. I just got back a couple of weeks ago after our annual MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND TRIP.

I've used SILENT WORLD alot while in the NORTHERN part of KEY LARGO. Their dock is at 106mm & the office is at 103mm. Ric & Janet run a nice op. JANET is the PERSONALITY...she is everyones Best Friend by the end of your 5 trip package! Ric runs the shop & they have several GREAT captains in Bob, AJ & Dan. They have 2 thirty foot boats. If you are there on a busy time (weekend) expect a FULL boat of 12 or 14. They do AM & PM & NIGHT dives, so you can knock out 5 dives a day, which is what we usually do. Only negative on them is that they have their "favorite" spots. And by the time you've done your 5 trip package, you will likely have been in a very tight radius of dive sites.

On this same trip we also used BLUE WATER DIVERS (100mm by Holiday Inn) for a night dive. They would go to BENWOOD WRECK when SW wouldn't...it is too far away for them. GLENN & SALLY ran a nice boat. We had lots of room because besides my group of 3 there was one other couple. So we had 5 divers plus Glenn & Sally, which made for a NICE, RELAXING, UNCROWDED trip. SW charges more for their night dive & it IS NOT included in the PACKAGE. So even though Blue Water charges $65+tax for night dive, it is still within the range of other ops.

Further down the road is TAVERNIER Dive Center at about 90mm. Mike runs a real nice shop there too. I can recommend all of them.

When I go in "off season" or when it is hard finding a boat going out, go to PENNEKAMP PARK. The dive op there is REEF ADVENTURES. They have a 45' catamaran style boat. They get more visitors coming to the park so they are almost always going out when other ops don't have enough paying passengers. I use this op in JAN & FEB when I go down to Keys by myself. They run about $43 if you bring your own gear...including tanks & weights.

Have a great time. WE meet great people and have fun everytime we go there. We are already planning a return trip for July or early August. Just can't get enough of the Keys!

Big Mike

Has anyone heard of Pro Dive? I am going to be in Ft Lauderdale over fourth of July weekend and that was the dive op the hotel I am staying at recommended. Can anyone confirm that they are a reputable dive op or recommend any dive ops near the Sheraton Yankee Clipper (I would prefer not to drive too far since I don't know the area). Thanks in advance.

Victor

vel525:
Has anyone heard of Pro Dive? I am going to be in Ft Lauderdale over fourth of July weekend and that was the dive op the hotel I am staying at recommended. Can anyone confirm that they are a reputable dive op or recommend any dive ops near the Sheraton Yankee Clipper (I would prefer not to drive too far since I don't know the area). Thanks in advance.

Victor

Yes, they are a very reputable operation. I did my Instructor training with them back in the early 90's and have been diving with them ever since. There boat is the biggest and nicest one in this area and the staff and crew are fantastic.

Let us know when you're in the area and maybe some of us locals can meet up with you and get wet.

Padipro:
Yes, they are a very reputable operation. I did my Instructor training with them back in the early 90's and have been diving with them ever since. There boat is the biggest and nicest one in this area and the staff and crew are fantastic.

Let us know when you're in the area and maybe some of us locals can meet up with you and get wet.

Thanks for the info Scott. I called them up, but their boat leaves at 1pm. Unfortunately, I have a wedding to attend at 6pm so that probably isn't the best idea. But I will keep looking for a dive shop that goes out in the morning because I really want to get wet. :D

Parrot Island does a morning and an afternoon trip almost everyday. And if it's not a guarantee that the trip be running, Capt Jerry is honest with you so you can have a back-up plan.

http://www.parrotislandscuba.com

Try American Dream II. They're right around the corner from the Yankee Clipper Hotel on 17th street at the Pier 66 hotel. Very nice boat and Capt Todd is a great guy. I've dived with them many times and it's always a good time.

thanks for the info guys. i've left messages so hopefully we'll have a confirmed trip soon.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom