Ft. Lauderdale/ Key Largo Dive Operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadiveress

Registered
Reaction score
I will be visiting my father in Ft. Lauderdale for a week in July and would like to do some diving (it's been 3 loooonnnnggg years!) and needed some suggestions for operators and dive sites. Last time I dove was in Cozumel and I did 11 dives and a night dive (cool, but eerie!) - deepest 130 ft..

My dad and I are both certified as "Advanced" PADI divers, but he doesn't have any ocean experience (just Ohio quarries). We probably need a refresher and I would like to keep him in the shallower reef areas (max 50 ft) for the first dive or so. I would like an operation that offers guided tours as I'm not comfortable going solo in an unfamiliar area.

I should also mention that I don't really like sharks and would like to avoid areas where there are shark feeds (something I don't agree with - see what happened to the bears in Yellowstone?!).

I checked out a few of the forums and it appears that Key Largo, though a bit of a drive, has some nice options. I noticed that "It's a Dive", "Silent World", "Scuba Do" and "Ocean Divers" were referenced quite often with good recommendations.

Sorry this is so long - I'd appreciate any info you can provide. Really looking forward to getting back into the water!!!

Scubadiveress:
I checked out a few of the forums and it appears that Key Largo, though a bit of a drive, has some nice options. I noticed that "It's a Dive", "Silent World", "Scuba Do" and "Ocean Divers" were referenced quite often with good recommendations.

I dove Silent World last weekend. They have a 12 pack boat but never filled it to capacity. I think we had 7-3-10-8 on four trips. Very nice, clean and professional. Not to mention 5 trips for $200. Scuba Do came highly regarded from my DM unfortunately they were not going out due to lack of interest. They run a 6 pack.

In Ft Lauderdale Ive used Southeastern in Hollywood. Nothing special there but about 15-20 min south in Haulover Beach, Miami Tropical Divers runs a 6 pack that is extremely professional.

The Silent World package deal includes tanks and shallow-only reef or wreck trips. Its ten bucks more for the Duane or SG. You can hire one of their DM/captains as a guide, but you probably won't need one after your first dive. You can do 4 dives a day there if you think your jaw can stand it.

Just recently dove Key Largo, using Sea Dwellers, in May and all our dives were pretty shallow. Can not see where a guide would be needed on the reefs. Before we entered the water our captain explained the layout of the particular reef and points of interest to look for. Check out my report with the depths we dove:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=100855

Scubadiveress- Firstly and ForeMostedly Welcome to the Board!

Diving in Fort Lauderdale area in July! I gurrantee that you will be able to find local ScubaBoard divers that will be happy to show you around U/W.

As far as three years since your last dive, some things to consider.

Get a service/ check up on all of your gear. Rubber seals and straps tend to dry rot and break. Small springs and valves corrode and stick.

Your skills as you mentioned also tend to dull and need to be honed.

There are a great many instructors and divemasters that will have you along for a hop in the pool just with the hopes of getting a diver back in the water (no $$).

There are refresher courses offered. Or you can opt to do what many others have and take a new course. If you have a interest take a specialty course and get a new ceritification and the benefit of a instructor to oversee your reentry into SCUBA.

At the BARE minimum do a few dives in the quarry you mentioned find a area that you can have a great amount of control of depth and reference such as a training platform.

Welcome back to the sport and let us know when you are going to be in the area.. then prepare to make lots of new CONCH friends in Florida!

Eric

If you really want a professional refresher and positive reentry into diving, go see Pro Dive in Fort Lauderdale. When it comes to safety and a professional outfit, it is hard to beat them, especially when it comes to new divers.

Some think they hold people's hands too much, but for what you are seeking I think they would be a great place to go over skills before you jump into the ocean. They will not cut any corners at all and all their employees are very solid instructors.

This last weekend we dove with 'Its a Dive' at the Marriott. The captain and crew for all of our dives were nice and helpful on the reef dives we had. Highly reconmend the City of Washington site. The only problem we had was the lack of time for lunch between the morning 2 tank dive to the afternoon 2 tank dive. We had only 30 min. to get lunch.

If you're looking for a refresher course and a good dive op that will take care of you try Pro Dive. They have a great, dubble decker, boat complete with a snack bar and large dry area. The staff and crew are top notch and they are one of the largest training facilities in South Florida so doing a refresher class for you and your Dad wouldn't be a problem. You can even hire a DM to dive with you on the first few dives if you think you need one. They go out everyday unless the weather is REALLY bad and they do alot of shallower dives because of their training schedule. I've dived with them for years and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Let us know when you're going to be in the area and maybe some of us locals can meet up with you and we can all get wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom