Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Heard About It And Want To Try It

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • Only Use The Frog Kick

Votes: 59 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus:
I've heard of the frog kick, and want to learn how to use it, but so far my self-instruction really hasn't worked out so well. I've watched the videos, and kind of have it a bit, but I don't move anywhere near as efficiently as with a flutter. It might be my fins, I haven't ponied up the money for a pair of jets yet. Still use my original thrusters.

Since I mostly dive reefs, it really hasn't been an issue. I like to stay about five or six feet away from the coral, and so the flutter works best for me there. I'd still like to learn to do the frog properly, so I've not only increased my abilities, but I've got something to use in the local res where vis and silt are major issues.

I know how you feel. I've been trying to do the frog kick and obviously I'm not doing it right since all I got for the effort was a strained muscle. I'll check out the video and see if I can figure out what I've been doing wrong.

I have a pair of Volo Powers and, well, I suspect that they are a bit too long and bendy for me to do the frog properly but they sure work great when I have a strong current to deal with.

My favorite technique to rid drafters and leaches is the bicycle kick. They taught it in my FUN-dies class!
Pun intended.
JAW

headhunter:
So, I'm thinking that you must be hnladue's buddy since you use a FLOG kick. :D

I know this was a typo, but just couldn't help commenting about flogging those NASCAR leaches. :wink:

Christian

I used to do what I called a flog kick.

It was a modified frog that "evolved" over the course of a few hundred dives trying to frog kick in Biofins. It worked fine ... it just didn't look very pretty.

Problem is it made learning a proper frog kick more difficult ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My youngest daughter saw my Fiji pictures for the first time last night. When she saw this one she started laughing and pointed to the lowest diver and said, "He looks like a frog!"

attachment.php

JustAddWater:
My favorite technique to rid drafters and leaches is the bicycle kick. They taught it in my FUN-dies class!
Pun intended.
JAW

That would have been good for Kalvyn to do to me on this dive. We were at about 95' and he was perfectly trimmed out, frog kicking about a foot off the bottom. I was just above him and grabbed onto his tank and let him tow me around for a bit. I had my light beam positioned about 6' off to his left and he never figured out I was there. :D

A number of my buddies are quite successful using the frog kick. I've never been able to get the hang of it. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I'm knock-kneed.

Dr. Bill

Mo2vation:
Being 9 feet tall doesn't hurt your frog kick speed, either my friend... :wink:

---
Ken

Just to get off the subject for a minute Mo2vation, is that pic under your name the one Deep outdoors was using for their ads???

Charlie99:
For a short burst of speed, nothing beats the flutter kick. Tiring, not energy efficient, but very fast.

Although I havn't actually measured it, the dolphin kick seems faster to me. Although that could be only my preception due to the fact that I gyrate in ways that would put Elvis to shame. Too bad I become the worlds biggest hoover when I use that kick.

Mostly frog or modified frog kick. Once you master it, you will find it is near effortsless. I was lucky in that I was in competitive swimming all my youth so the technique is second nature. I occasionally use the flutter on looong dives to give other muscle groups a break. Wet or dry suit makes no difference. A reverse frog kick works really well while approaching to a hover for pic taking. My2c.

Jet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom