Frequency and cost of regulator service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
I stopped by my LDS, and the owner showed me some regulators. He pitched the Oceanic (IIRC) regs as being cheaper in the long run because (for the particular models he was showing me) they would need servicing only every two years while cheaper regs would need servicing every year. He said that the ones with brass (bronze?), stainless steel, and titanium bodies use exactly the same service kits and the mfr recommends two-year service intervals. At $100 per service, one would recoup the greater outlay for the more expensive by halving the service cost over a period of, say, six years.

1. Do ordinary regs need annual service?

2. Is $100 a normal charge (in the SF Bay Area) for reg service?

Interesting. I do and have always been told to do annual service and most manufacturer key warranties to this. Sounds like Oceanic has decided that they will honor with a two year interval for this one. I am skeptical that there are any innovations in the reg construction that make this reg "need" less frequent service. Most service is prophylactic and frequency comes down to ensuring it works when needed (and maintaining the warranty). It's kind of a game of chicken and Oceanic sound like they are breaking ranks with the pack. I'm curious, were you shown documentation to this effect? Obviously you don't want to buy a reg on this assumption only possibly to find out this was just a sales pitch to move a reg and you unwittingly voided your warranty. Just sayin... There is also a bit of a disconnect in the statement that all the regs use the same kits, but some need less frequent service - don't we replace those parts for the very reason that they tend to be what wears out? Tires don't last longer just because the are on a more expensive car.

That aside $100 is fairly typical.

Good luck!

That about right for service. The first part of yourquestion is the hard part it depends on the particular regulator andmanufacture. But it best to follow what in your owner's manual.
I'm sure somebody going to come behind me and you don't need to service by themanufactures recommendations. But think about it this way you're on a 5Kvacation and your regulator goes out on the boat basically it free flowing andyou sit out that dive and low and behold a whale shark cruise through.

Are you in the Pleasanton area?

Over the past 25 years I have never had my regs serviced more frequently than two years. However, I average over 150 dives a year, so this may in fact make them need less servicing. None of the members of our dive club would get their regs serviced every year, most do it every second year.

Once every 2 years is fine. If it NEEDS it, then service it earlier, but 2yrs is a reasonable interval.

Good maintenance by the way of cleaning them in fresh water under pressure after every dive will help too.

The real issue is separating "needs servicing" from "manuf suggested servicing". Needs means the reg is not performing correctly, not that some arbitrary time interval has elapsed. "Manuf suggested servicing" is simply there to keep the warranty in effect and as a revenue source for dive shops. There is no magic in a reg with a 2 yr service interval, just marketing. Pretty much all of us self service types have pushed the time limits way past the 1 year mark and most I know go over the 2 yr mark. Regs rarely catastrophically fail, in reality they start with subtle signs of problems that slowly build over time. If you are doing proper self checks on the regs you will see the problem way before it becomes so bad it effects a dive.
The idea that annual service somehow keeps problems from happening as opposed to longer service intervals is simply a myth. There are no parts in any reg that wear out or significantly degrade is a few years of average use. Granted, if you mistreat your reg, odds are it will take the abuse long enough to make it to the next service interval, that are actually pretty tough machines but if you take proper care of your reg, it will go a lot longer that a year or 2 without service. Then there is the service introduced failure. Any time a machine is dissembled there is the chance of something not being done correctly introducing problems or worse causing damage. There is a very good reason for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule. Over the years, one of the most common service suggestions made on this board is to never have a reg freshly serviced and leave for a trip. Experience has proven that the odds are greatest for a failure soon after service, not after a reasonable interval of proper service.

If you don't have an idea on how to check a reg set, then get regular servicing. And, as herman said, take the reg out for some test dives after service and before you travel with them to insure proper operation.

The service to extend the warrenty on a reg set is like buying a warrenty on a TV, it might make you feel better but it is done to increase profit on a sale.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

$100.00 for a Reg service?, I just my BCD and Regs done for $50.00, I guess that what you get for the West Coast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom