Freezing My Ass Off...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd recommend going to a dry suit that fits you well as quickly as possible, preferably with a dry glove setup of some sort. Being warm and dry means being comfortable, so you'll enjoy diving more and learn better as you can focus as opposed to being distracted by the cold.

Haven't read it all, but will throw in my 2 cents. I've always worn a 7 mil farmer john. Was gifted a new (used) one last year which was really easy to don & doff. Figured no good, not snug enough. After a dive, mitts off, lots of water flowed out the sleeves--logically a lot more water somewhere in there for my body to heat up. But, I was no colder/warmer than with the old piece of crap that was much tighter and obnoxious putting on & off. We're talking about water in the low 40s. I'm not gunna argue physics when something works. Perhaps just getting a decent 7 mil farmer john may work for you?
Side note: I think I recall reading that being still in cold water doesn't make you colder. In fact, I think being more active may--the reverse of on land. Something to do with you're body heating the water between you and the wetsuit quicker and that heat being sucked away quicker by the outside water to be replaced with new cold water. I may be off on this.

Last edited:
Huh ? Only in the most narrow definition of volume. The air in the suit compresses with increasing depth and you add air. If you ignore the effect of pressure on volume (throwing Boyles law into the dumpster) you are correct. I'm certain what you said is not what you meant.
I meant exactly what I said. The volume of the suit remains the same. It takes more molecules of gas running around inside to maintain that volume as you descend, but the volume remains the same.

I meant exactly what I said. The volume of the suit remains the same. It takes more molecules of gas running around inside to maintain that volume as you descend, but the volume remains the same.
With all respect it is bats**t crazy to talk about the volume of gas (which we are) in a a non-rigid container (which we are) without referencing the temperature (relatively constant) and pressure.

With all respect it is bats**t crazy to talk about the volume of gas (which we are) in a a non-rigid container (which we are) without referencing the temperature (relatively constant) and pressure.

I disagree. You continue to confuse "volume" with "density"

Tobin

I disagree. You continue to confuse "volume" with "density"

Tobin
Ok

You're diving a x feet (or meters) in a drysuit and you ascend or descend y feet (or meters). Temperature is constant.

What happens to the total volume of the suit?

Ok

You're diving a x feet (or meters) in a drysuit and you ascend or descend y feet (or meters). Temperature is constant.

What happens to the total volume of the suit?

Nothing, I add gas as I descend and I vent gas as I ascend. The volume remains constant, the density however varies with depth.

That is BTW *how* one maintains neutral buoyancy.......

Tobin

Nothing, I add gas as I descend and I vent gas as I ascend. The volume remains constant, the density however varies with depth.

That is BTW *how* one maintains neutral buoyancy.......

Tobin
And I would wager you any amount of money you would care to lose that you do not EXACTLY add/subtract the amount of gas for every depth change (any change in depth will account for a change in volume, ceteris paribus)

Remember the key words were "constant volume" That is volume does not change (even a little)

And you also maintain neutral buoyancy by changing the volume of air in your lungs.

And I would wager you any amount of money you would care to lose that you do not EXACTLY add/subtract the amount of gas for every depth change (any change in depth will account for a change in volume, ceteris paribus)

Remember the key words were "constant volume" That is volume does not change (even a little)

And you also maintain neutral buoyancy by changing the volume of air in your lungs.
OMG, are you going to argue that because as I descend and ascend, adding or subtracting air from the suit as I do to maintain the proper volume, that it is not always perfectly exact and thus not "constant"? Is that what you are saying? If so, then Wow! You are correct sir! There will be times when it is not perfect, and that is why you feel the need to add or decrease air. It is thus not, in fact, constant.

This was a most illuminating discussion. One does not often meet people who make arguments like this in public discourse. It has broadened my horizons.

John,

Every well qualified drysuit diver I've ever had as a team mate endeavors to keep their drysuit volume as near constant as possible, just enough to remove the squeeze, and allow for the mobility required for a valve drill. This no doubt is what BoulderJohn was referring to.

That in practice the volume varies by a few percent, but the density varies pretty much lock step with ambient pressure does nothing to invalidate my point that it's density and not volume that varies in a properly operated drysuit.

I realize you are desperate to try to explain your misuse of the term volume with ever more strained arguments, but the fact remains the "ideal drysuit", which BTW is the exact term I referenced waaaaay back in this discussion, is a constant volume device.

Perhaps you should chat up a physics teacher and see what they have to say on the matter.........

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom