Freedom Plate poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Eric,
Can you at least give us an update on the new Freedom Plate?????I don't mind waiting........ but at least keep us inform since you're the one who started this thread and is now generating lots of interest.

Eric said they wouldn't be ready until April, so I'm not going to worry until May.. I have an old plastic BP that i removed from an old US-Tech BCD that should get me be for a few dives until I hear word from Eric about availability of the plate.

Hey Eric,
Can you at least give us an update on the new Freedom Plate?????I don't mind waiting........ but at least keep us inform since you're the one who started this thread and is now generating lots of interest.

Yep what he said...come on Eric give us an update the lack of response is verging on rudeness:shakehead:

Ok Ive mailed Eric one last time with a desperate plea for some response if I dont hear back within the next week then I guess Ill have to let it go and look for an alternate plate...Hmmmm...

This thread is one of the only reasons why I visit scubaboard right now. I may have to start looking somewhere else too if there isn't an update soon. I'd be happy to wait until the end of May if I could get constant updates.

well well well, the plot thickens, Im like some crazed stalker, stalking Eric for a plate ha ha, well upon some super sleuthing I found Eric is alive and kicking on the another forum, I cant sign into it for some reason but I could read the posts, it would appear the plate is up and running and in fact it looks like some people already have the new plate the posts are all recent, so that sounds promising....I not sure why hes not giving updates on this forum tho, must be busy eh...Cool looks like might be able to get one after all...happy happy...oh and Eric Ive got ya phone number now, resistance is futile...

I went to the "other site and looked at the pictures he has posted of his new design, and it looks really good for my purposes.

Since this thread is basically going nowhere at the moment, I won't feel guilty about some general BP/W talk.

This will be my first venture into BP/W and I am only able to go on the research I have done on the net. I came to this thread looking for a light weight SS BP for warm water temps.

I think this Freedom Plate is a good choice for me in this regard.

I really don't like aluminum around salt water. That and the fact that it is a relatively soft, easy to bend/damage material, I would rather go with a light weight SS plate. Is my hesitation with aluminum here unfounded? Do those of you with alum plated find that they are rugged and hold up well?

I guess the Oxy travel plate would be another choice, but this one looks so dang comfortable.

I would tend to agree with Nemrod on the STA, based solely on me being anal about things. Given the choice, I would rather have the wing trapped between the plate and the STA, but that just isn't the case with the STA welded on. Have any of you seen any wear factor on the wing from the edges of the STA on your Freedom Plates?

I think I would also prefer to have the tank bands go through slots in the STA (or welded on ribs in the case of the Freedom). That would strengthen up the top of the plate by eliminating the band slots, although it would require his support ribs to extend a little higher up on the plate, pushing the tank out just a tad. That would also stiffen the plate, although I doubt it needs it.

Hope you didn't mind a little idle rambling. I tend to do that.

Is mentioning the "Other Site" not allowed?

As far as aluminum plates, I doubt you'll ever bend it unless you are trying to do so. I've haven't used mine in salt water yet, but I don't see where that is much of an issue. It should be marine grade aluminum, and as long as you take care of it, I don't see how salt water is going to hurt.

Having said that, a standard steel plate isn't too heavy to take on trips (IMHO), and the extra weight helps.

You might have a good point on the edges wearing the wing on the new plate. I guess time will tell. But I still plan on getting one when they are available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom