Freediving fins when scuba diving from a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Bomberg

Contributor
Reaction score
I am not asking can you use freediving fins rather how do you that use them get into the water. I am looking to get a pair of 29/71 Mini-X Travel Carbon Fins so the length is not an issue, but I am worried about the blade angle, normally you gear up, stand up, walk/waddle across the deck, get to the dive platform and do a giant stride, but I have been told it's a really bad idea to walk with the carbon fiber blades and likewise never to jump feet first but that is what a giant stride really is.

So for all of you that dive using freediving fins how do you do it? (comments and suggestions welcome as I am soon buying the fins, for a trip next year to Raja Ampat and Komodo).

Back roll if possible. Otherwise, land with legs a bit angled and let them come up (hinge at the hip) on impact. Basically land on your butt.

Giant stride puts too much pressure on the rear leg with really long blades. Those look so short I doubt there is an issue.

If you are worried, land with feet together and enter heel first. Or back roll or flop in on your side or butt will all work. Fin angle on deck is not an issue.

With long fins I either back rolled, landed knees first, or usually just regular giant stride with no fins and put them on in the water.

With long fins I either back rolled, landed knees first, or usually just regular giant stride with no fins and put them on in the water.
Alas with a camera in my hands its really hard to put fins on in the water especially if there is a big group or strong current but it's worth experimenting with

Giant stride puts too much pressure on the rear leg with really long blades. Those look so short I doubt there is an issue.

If you are worried, land with feet together and enter heel first. Or back roll or flop in on your side or butt will all work. Fin angle on deck is not an issue.
honestly I think there is no issue with a 24" fin as the working blade is only 45cm (18inch), the worst case is I end up renting fins if I snap them but really hoping not to and it all depends on the wave height and boat height if high enough I can land with my feet together and toes up but if too low it's splits and rear leg gets pushed up I suspect, hmm wish I could try before heading to the GBR.

Full hands make it a challenge for sure! Knees first is the best option then. I have snapped a couple long blade fins trying to giant stride, never when hitting the water knees first though.

Depending on how high off the water, you can do a back roll/butt-first entry from a standing position. This works to protect a camera if you have to jump in with it. Just let people know in advance to they stay clear or someone on deck can give you a "go" signal.

walk/waddle across the deck

You don't "walk/waddle" with fins on, free or scuba diving fins. You put them on at the point of entry and get into the water, no walking or waddling with the fins on deck.

Pardon my ignorance as a diver...

Wondering why you'd use long fins when scuba diving and when filming? Aren't shorter fins more appropriate for controlling your position -- backfinning, helicopter turns, sculling vertically, etc.?

As I understand it the freedivers need to be astoundingly efficient in their few seconds of finning before they run out of puff -- they can't exert themselves as they've such little time before the CO2 builds up. Freedivers wouldn't hang around for minutes on end in one place to get that perfect shot.

Scuba divers simply breathe underwater. Works well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom