Free tickets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillow

Contributor
Reaction score
We are planning to cash in our miles for a trip to Florida. I dive but my wife does not. I want to Dive, snorkel, fish and maybe use my metal detector.

I want to either be on the beach in Ft Lauderdale or near a beach in the Keys. I thi9nk that we can fly into Key West but not sure about Marathon.

Any recommendations about places to stay, dive shops and fishing would be appreciated.

How lat4e in the year will water surface temps be above 70?

We are planning to cash in our miles for a trip to Florida. I dive but my wife does not. I want to Dive, snorkel, fish and maybe use my metal detector.

I want to either be on the beach in Ft Lauderdale or near a beach in the Keys. I thi9nk that we can fly into Key West but not sure about Marathon.

Any recommendations about places to stay, dive shops and fishing would be appreciated.

How lat4e in the year will water surface temps be above 70?

I was thinking I could *get* free tickets by clicking....

True beaches are few and far between in the Keys although most resorts have created beach areas on their resort property.

Water temps will more than likely remain above 70 for the entire winter. The lowest I've ever recorded was 68 and that was only once.

Take a look at this and see if it fits your requirements:
Wright by the Sea
Underwater Explorer

Yup...the Keys are not a place to go if ya like the beach. The best beaches in Florida are Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, Clearwater Beach, Venice Beach and South Beach. Of course the beaches in Naples are excellent, however, crappy diving opportunities unless ya get a boat and go way, way out to sea. Oh yeah, Del Ray Beach is also nice and there is a small sub wrecked right off the beach there.

WHERE ARE MY FREE TICKETS??? :rofl3:

There are about a million threads about diving the Fort Lauderdale area, and we have a Keys guide at the top of the Conch forum.

In case you want to search for it, it is Delray Beach, not Del Ray. It wasn't a sub, it was a smaller wreck and I believe that sometimes it is covered over by sand. I've seen it when it was not covered by sand and it wasn't worth the swim out, except for grabbing a newly-molted lobster on the swim back.

If you come to Fort Lauderdale keep an eye on our Trips & Marketplace section, and hop onto one of the local dives, we plan them all the time.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks Guys it is such a pleasure to come to Florida. Everytime I come the people in this forum are so helpful that it makes my planning much easier.

We stayed at the Royal Plum Club Condos in Marathon for a week a couple of years ago. It is on one of the few beaches in the Keys. The condo overlooks a pool, with a view to the ocean beyond. Dove with Captain Hook's and Tilden's. Also did Looe Key with Innerspace. We've dived the Keys several times during January. Water temps were 71-72.

If you are interested in Key Largo, you could fly into MIA, rent a car, and be in Key Largo in less than an hour. You could pm Becky, aka "speargirl", she rents out wonderful fully-furnished condos at Kawama at MM100. Kawama has a sandy beach, a marina, a couple of pools, lots of amenities, and it is close to all of the best dive shops in the Upper Keys. Some good restaurants too. Lots of things for your non-diving spouse to do, especially if she has the use of the rental car while you are diving.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom