Free SSI Science of Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Competitive scuba diving?

Who can hold a motionless hover the longest?

Most precise ascents with stops?

It could work. People watch golf after all! :wink::poke::popcorn:

Maybe not monetized yet, but records are being kept and recorded in order to prove who has done XXX (deepest, best SAC, blah blah, blah)

I did find this:

About Sport Scuba Diving

Sport Diving is an underwater aquatic sport, where aspects of scuba diving are performed in a swimming pool. The sport which originated in Spain to promote scuba diving, is currently played in many European countries.

The sport primarily uses scuba diving equipment, some of which are, diving masks, fins, snorkels, diving cylinder, and full body swim suits. Some divers might also carry watches for personal timekeeping.

Sport diving competitions are conducted for both men and women, and can be contested individually or in teams of 2 or 4 members. Competitions are conducted in a pool that is 50 meters long and at least 2 meters deep.

Currently, there are five disciplines of sport diving for which international level competitions are conducted. Three of them are contested individually, the other two in teams. The individual events are, Event M 300 meters, Night diving and Immersion 6 kg. The team events are, Obstacle course and Briefing. In some regional and national competitions, additional events might also be included. In all sport diving events, the team or individual that completes the course in the least amount of time is declared as the winner.​

And who can fail to cheer the US Lawn Mower Racing Association

HOME | LetsMOW.com

:bounce:

aybe not monetized yet, but records are being kept and recorded in order to prove who has done XXX (deepest, best SAC, blah blah, blah)

I did find this:

About Sport Scuba Diving

Sport Diving is an underwater aquatic sport, where aspects of scuba diving are performed in a swimming pool. The sport which originated in Spain to promote scuba diving, is currently played in many European countries.

The sport primarily uses scuba diving equipment, some of which are, diving masks, fins, snorkels, diving cylinder, and full body swim suits. Some divers might also carry watches for personal timekeeping.

Sport diving competitions are conducted for both men and women, and can be contested individually or in teams of 2 or 4 members. Competitions are conducted in a pool that is 50 meters long and at least 2 meters deep.

Currently, there are five disciplines of sport diving for which international level competitions are conducted. Three of them are contested individually, the other two in teams. The individual events are, Event M 300 meters, Night diving and Immersion 6 kg. The team events are, Obstacle course and Briefing. In some regional and national competitions, additional events might also be included. In all sport diving events, the team or individual that completes the course in the least amount of time is declared as the winner.​

HOME | LetsMOW.com

Reminded me of this:

Maybe not monetized yet, but records are being kept and recorded in order to prove who has done XXX (deepest, best SAC, blah blah, blah)

I did find this:

About Sport Scuba Diving

HOME | LetsMOW.com

Seems a bit like the NBA's All Star Weekend "skills" competition. Seems it's based on who can do all this scuba stuff the fastest. I dunno, think that may be pushing the definition of competitive sport a bit. Speed is normally not at all an objective of scuba diving.
Basketball is obviously a sport, but the A.S. skills competition? It's just something the NBA dreamed up to compliment the Slam Dunk contest.
As well, the tasks described for these scuba contests are not thinks 99% of people may do while diving. At a picnic/dive outing our LDS once held the "Scuba Olympics". One contest was a race rolling tanks in the sand to a finish line (maybe not a good idea for the valve......).

Competitive scuba diving?

Who can hold a motionless hover the longest?

Most precise ascents with stops?

It could work. People watch golf after all! :wink::poke::popcorn:

Competitive scuba diving is a historical fact.
- underwater orienteering competitions (yes: speed and accuracy)
- underwater obstacle course comptetitions (speed)
- dive fishing competitions (amount of fish)

Speed is normally not at all an objective of scuba diving.

- of recreational scuba diving

Military and public safety divers may very well need speed. You are only talking about your own normal, but there are other normals.

Update: successfully completed the online program and received my certification. I got it issued by another shop I chose randomly and they also did it for free.

Regarding the course, I was a little disappointed that the whole material is not well organized and the text is poorly written. Each topic feels like a strange paraphrase of their respective wikipedia page, so unfortunately I probably won't return to this text for future reference or refreshing. I did learn a few things and the sections on diving physiolosy left the most impression on me. As a new diver I'm glad that there are 2 things I'll remember forever now: always keep breathing and always ascent slowly.

Also noticed some differences between SSI and Padi? 18hours vs 24hours after multiday dives before flying? 18m/min vs 9m/min rate of ascent? I guess it's a matter of conservatism.

Competitive scuba diving is a historical fact.
- underwater orienteering competitions (yes: speed and accuracy)
- underwater obstacle course comptetitions (speed)
- dive fishing competitions (amount of fish)
I can reluctantly concede about fishing since quite a few people and many that fish are aware of the competitions (the physical aspect could be debated).
I would guess very very few scuba divers and probably close to no non divers have ever heard of the two competitions listed. I know I hadn't until now. I wonder how many of these scuba competitions take place around the world and where?

I don't consider diving a sport, rather an interesting activity which can be very physical or not, and is not competitive.
I just got back from my doctor for the annoying medical exam for taking dive classes. He told me about how when he was a teenager, he and his friend would put on dive gear and go to the bottom of the family swimming pool and then fight. The winner was whoever surfaced last. In the meantime, masks were getting flooded, regs pulled out of mouths, and so forth. Built character, I'm sure.

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned the following matter either in this thread or elsewhere on Scubaboard.

Anyway, I recently finished the Science of Diving (SOD) online @ Salty Endeavors in Cozumel. A few days ago, I was looking at my account via the SSI website and found that a PDF book of the SOD online learning material is available for download.

This was found by logging in the SSI site, clicking the 'Services' menu at the top of the page, selecting the 'Download Area' sub-menu and then searching through the list of documents on the 'Download Area' page.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom