Free SSI Science of Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saxman242

Contributor
Reaction score
Thought I'd pass this on for anyone interested in learning a bit more. Salty Endeavors (an SSI shop in Cozumel) is offering a free SSI Science of Diving specialty right now as well as discounts on some of their other online specialties.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Per @saxman242 request, the image was deleted.

Very nice. I think that I will also take the Nitrox for 50 USD...
I am a *** CMAS instructor, and I am certified also for CC rebreathers, but never got a card for Nitrox...

I am a *** CMAS instructor, and I am certified also for CC rebreathers, but never got a card for Nitrox...
Might as well. I exchanged a few emails with Henry at Salty Endeavors. Seems like a nice guy. I might take one of his other ones just to throw a bone his way for offering this. Even if SSI is covering the expenses (who knows if they are or not), he's gotta be working like crazy fielding all the online inquiries and getting everyone set up.

But it's only good for 32% nitrox.

But it's only good for 32% nitrox.
Never found different mixes around, and always considered this the only reasonable one.
Higher percentage does limit too much the maximum depth, lower percentage gives too small benefit compared with air, still exposing you to the severe risks associated with added oxygen.

I was kidding -- I wonder if "32%" is simply a typo: how do you certify for "32%" only. Also how they get around the "hands on" part.

I was kidding -- I wonder if "32%" is simply a typo: how do you certify for "32%" only. Also how they get around the "hands on" part.
I am very curious, and this is one of the reasons I want to take this online course.
I have the same problem for my courses at the university: how to make an online exam on topics requiring the student showing his practical ability?

Nitrox card without a hands-on class? Really bad idea.

I've told this story before, but it is worth repeating. I was waiting to use the analyzer at Buddy Dive some years ago. A fellow and his wife were there when I arrived, and he was just unhooking the yoke from his tank valve. (The yoke had a hose to a flow restrictor then to an analyzer, the kind with a knob to allow you to calibrate it.) He hooked up the yoke to his wife's tank, turned on the gas, turned to her and asked, "What percentage do you want?" She responded, "Well, we've been diving 32% but I'd like to try 36% for a change." He said, "Okay" and turned the calibration knob until it said 36%. They unhooked and walked away.

Hands-on won't fix stupid. Though I wonder if he may've been the tax accountant from the old joke: "how much is two times two? -- How much do you need?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom