Free SSI Science of Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw SSI offering this free program so I signed up as a new member. But I was also confused about the meaning of "* SSI only offers the Science of Diving Digital Kit and Certification free of charge, not the complete course. SSI recommends to contact an SSI Training Center for training (potentially at additional charge) and certification."

Anyway I haven't finished this course yet. But does it mean if I want to receive the certification I need to eventually contact a dive shop to issue it to me? Feels a bit awkward because the website allows me to choose any dive shop to sign up, so I chose a random one, and I haven't contacted it yeto_O. So I should expect the dive shop to charge me a fee for the certification once I pass? It seems like the whole thing is SSI trying to use this free online program to hook some students up with their dive shops and thus generate a little income for them?
I took the course in April, got the cert. and no fee. Have you read the early posts here-- ie Salty Endeavers being the shop offering this?

I took the course in April, got the cert. and no fee. Have you read the early posts here-- ie Salty Endeavers being the shop offering this?

Yes I did see that information. Is he still offering it? I guess I had just figured out the steps and haven't got to contacting my training center yet. Btw how long did it take you to finish reading all the chapters?

Yes I did see that information. Is he still offering it? I guess I had just figured out the steps and haven't got to contacting my training center yet. Btw how long did it take you to finish reading all the chapters?

It is still being offered (until June 30th I guess) for free in Portugal and anyone can register.

I did mine with “dive on malta”

I did it in a week. Maybe half hour or so a day, but most of it was review of the DM course I took. It was my first experience with e learning. I assumed there was more to it than reading a manual that was on the screen instead (what did I know?). You take a quiz after each chapter or so--like the old "Knowledge Reviews" then a bunch of tests at the end on each chapter. If you "fail", you just do that one again, so it's basically an open book test. I don't know if it is still free. Contact Henry at Salty Endeavors (Cozumel).

I finished it last week and enjoyed the experience, most of it was what I consider basic diving knowledge but most of the agencies disagree. Thanks Salty Endeavors! :)

I don't see anything nefarious in this. SSI is trying to help shops (re)establish relationships with customers. I don't think there is anyone charging a fee for this (afaik, could be though), but they hope that in the future, you will consider them for your training needs.

Back
Top Bottom