Free SSI Science of Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned the following matter either in this thread or elsewhere on Scubaboard.

Anyway, I recently finished the Science of Diving (SOD) online @ Salty Endeavors in Cozumel. A few days ago, I was looking at my account via the SSI website and found that a PDF book of the SOD online learning material is available for download.

This was found by logging in the SSI site, clicking the 'Services' menu at the top of the page, selecting the 'Download Area' sub-menu and then searching through the list of documents on the 'Download Area' page.
I found it. Is this free? I saw no place for a fee.

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned the following matter either in this thread or elsewhere on Scubaboard.

Anyway, I recently finished the Science of Diving (SOD) online @ Salty Endeavors in Cozumel. A few days ago, I was looking at my account via the SSI website and found that a PDF book of the SOD online learning material is available for download.

This was found by logging in the SSI site, clicking the 'Services' menu at the top of the page, selecting the 'Download Area' sub-menu and then searching through the list of documents on the 'Download Area' page.
Wow. I have it too. Great. Thank you for pointing it out. I wonder if it is legal for a print shop to print it out since I paid and completed the course. I tried to purchase a book when I took the course, but LDS was out and SSI would not send them more...

I finished the course too, but I see there are 4-5 other things you can also download--again, do you think these are free to download?

I finished the course too, but I see there are 4-5 other things you can also download--again, do you think these are free to download?
I just downloaded it without any additional charges or any issues.

All:
I signed up for this through SSI when it was first offered a few months ago. I just finished the final exams. Question. Does SSI give a digital card for this?

My local dive shop is giving a class on this but it cost 50 dollars. I am assuming I will receive a printed card from them after the review.

Just trying to see what all of you guys did with this course?

I did the online and will be doing a review class at my local dive shop as well for this course.

Glenn

All:
I signed up for this through SSI when it was first offered a few months ago. I just finished the final exams. Question. Does SSI give a digital card for this?

My local dive shop is giving a class on this but it cost 50 dollars. I am assuming I will receive a printed card from them after the review.

I did the online and will be doing a review class at my local dive shop as well for this course.

Glenn
I did it for free with a SSI dive centre called “Dive on Malta” (they are very friendly if you happen to be in the area).

Once the dive centre signed me off I got the card when I go in the app and go on to the Cards section.

Standard with all SSI classes.

I found it. Is this free? I saw no place for a fee.

Included with every SSI class at no additional charge. Another value benefit of SSI over PADI - all classes include the desktop version, mobile version, and PDF textbook at no extra charge.

Wow. I have it too. Great. Thank you for pointing it out. I wonder if it is legal for a print shop to print it out since I paid and completed the course. I tried to purchase a book when I took the course, but LDS was out and SSI would not send them more...

SSI has not printed text books for a number of years. Guessing maybe 5 or more now? Ever since they committed to going fully digital.

SSI includes many downloads for free for simply creating a profile. Things like Try Scuba, Snorkeling, etc. Plus many of the classes include downloads, like the Stress & Rescue includes the flow chart, Nitrox the EANx tables, etc.

All:

Glenn

The certifications include the digital certification at no additional charge. The printed plastic card does come at an expense. Your local shop my charge you for it by default and provide it, or not charge for it and not provide it then ask if you want one. Obviously the digital is all you need, unless you refer to have plastic.

I took this free course from SSI. It was pretty good but I hate SSI's testing software. It isn't developed well at all.

Back
Top Bottom