Free SSI Science of Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tables are located at Programs & Cards > Tables on your mobile device.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I don't bother opening a new one just for this.

Any idea where the tables are located in the desktop version???

I was kind of shocked to see few questions needing tables in the final exam. The use of tables is not discussed in this course at all and review sections have no such questions. I didn't even know where to find SSI's tables at the time I was doing the exams, hence I admit I passed these few questions on trial and error basis.

Of course once I fount the tables I went through these questions again and managed to solve them correctly within minutes (I did my PADI OW course with tables 4 years ago, haven't used a table ever since, but amazingly I could still use them within seconds).

Anyway, thanks @Sloeber once more!

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I don't bother opening a new one just for this.

Any idea where the tables are located in the desktop version???

I was kind of shocked to see few questions needing tables in the final exam. The use of tables is not discussed in this course at all and review sections have no such questions. I didn't even know where to find SSI's tables at the time I was doing the exams, hence I admit I passed these few questions on trial and error basis.

Of course once I fount the tables I went through these questions again and managed to solve them correctly within minutes (I did my PADI OW course with tables 4 years ago, haven't used a table ever since, but amazingly I could still use them within seconds).

Anyway, thanks @Sloeber once more!
The pre-requisite for this class is SSI Open Water.

Maybe they do tables in OW ?

Good job on remembering how to use them :)

Thanks. So in a sense it's an open book test I guess.
Kind of. Except it is an honor system. They ask you to agree that you will not use outside materials during the test. Having said that, if you don’t pass it the first time, there is no penalty for that as you can take it as often as you would like. It is also helpful that the final exam is divided in 8 or 10 sections and you take each one individually. There aren’t that many questions in each section, so if you miss one or two (usually not a good question) - you can go right back into that section. The test was changed in sometime in the last 2-3 years. They really dumbed it down. I took a 2014 test and when compared to 2020 test that my son took it is a lot easier now. There are a lot less calculations now...

The pre-requisite for this class is SSI Open Water.
Maybe they do tables in OW ?
Good job on remembering how to use them

I agree with you, but my question was actually how to answer the exam questions which need tables when no tables are provided to you during exams? At least in the desktop version I can't find them anywhere(!). In the mobile app (Android at least) they are available (in the "programs & cards" tab) but to see and use them you need to essentially stop the course (i.e. exams) you are using.

The only viable solution seems to be to do the course/exams in a desktop computer and have your mobile handy to see the tables in it.

Anyway I have already contacted SSI about this.

I agree with you, but my question was actually how to answer the exam questions which need tables when no tables are provided to you during exams? At least in the desktop version I can't find them anywhere(!). In the mobile app (Android at least) they are available (in the "programs & cards" tab) but to see and use them you need to essentially stop the course (i.e. exams) you are using.

The only viable solution seems to be to do the course/exams in a desktop computer and have your mobile handy to see the tables in it.

Agree that is not ideal to not have the table provided in the e-learning desktop.

I'll admit that I'm a dinosaur in some respects, but I printed and laminated a set of SSI tables when my son did his OW. I still have my PADI tables from when I learned. Both still go in my dive bag (just in case).
Respectfully
James

I'll admit that I'm a dinosaur in some respects, but I printed and laminated a set of SSI tables when my son did his OW. I still have my PADI tables from when I learned. Both still go in my dive bag (just in case).
Respectfully
James
How are the tables different?

How are the tables different?
I need to get them out and look.... Just a couple minutes here and there. When I have some time, I'll pull them out and post side by side pictures.

James

So... I misplaced my good laminated copy of the SSI tables, so I just reprinted... And my printer is low on color ink apparently. Still usable, but looks ridiculous.
PADI;
15870407223022035637701882600230.jpg
15870407865241828082199392866507.jpg

SSI;
15870408662992595440886720624993.jpg
15870409292445961468016088769897.jpg

Simple version: slight layout change, SSI uses fewer pressure groups, is slightly more conservative on NDL times, and does longer emergency deco stops if you screw it up.
Complicated version: i don't know enough about the assumptions/models either agency used to answer that!

Respectfully
James

Back
Top Bottom