Free SSI Science of Diving Specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you already signed up with SSI? I signed up this morning and all I see is some intro courses. SSI's website lists OW as a pre-requisite for this course, and since I didn't do my OW through SSI they've got no idea who I am.

I emailed my local SSI dive shop and he told me to sign up on the website and call in on Monday, so maybe they have to do something for people that aren't known by the system.
Ah i didn’t realise you didn’t sign up for the science of diving class.

You should create an account. Then contact the dive centre who is offering it for free to you. They will probably ask you to set them as one of your training centres in your profile, so they can assign a class to you.

Did that. Clicked on "View first page". Only a picture of a diver's head comes up. Clicked on the other thing-- like, view last page viewed or something-- SSI course descriptions comes up. Nothing else to click on. Have no smart phone (well, I do, but don't pay for it to be smart).
Ok, once you see the head of the diver, you can use < and > at the top to move to the previous and next page.

you can also click on the 3 bars at the bottom to navigate between sections.

Ok, once you see the head of the diver, you can use < and > at the top to move to the previous and next page.

you can also click on the 3 bars at the bottom to navigate between sections.
Thanks very much. I did hit the forward arrow before but didn't realize you had to keep hitting it through a lot of SSI intro. stuff about OW diving, until getting to the course. Think I'm good to go.

I did hit the forward arrow before but didn't realize you had to keep hitting it through a lot of SSI intro.
There are definitely a few pages of "we are SSI, here's how we work, please buy gear from an SSI dealer" pages

There are definitely a few pages of "we are SSI, here's how we work, please buy gear from an SSI dealer" pages

Yes there are but isn’t that what you would expect if the course is a dive master requirement? I mean part of going pro is the indoctrination into selling the agency product right, and SSI is an integrated agency whose parent company owns Mares. I was surprised to see a Scubapro bcd and Hollis BP/w in the pictures in the equip section.

Yes there are but isn’t that what you would expect if the course is a dive master requirement? I mean part of going pro is the indoctrination into selling the agency product right, and SSI is an integrated agency whose parent company owns Mares. I was surprised to see a Scubapro bcd and Hollis BP/w in the pictures in the equip section.
Oh, absolutely. I'm not surprised that they would approach it that way. I, too, was a bit surprised to see hollis/scuba pro gear in the material. You'd think they'd put some mares XR gear in for the bp/w, etc. Maybe the material was made prior to the XR push?

No, because the ti
But...if you go slower than that, you are spending more time at depth, thus ongassing more, than the tables are accounting for.
The time accunted by the table ends at bottom, when you start ascending. Instead in this emergency situation when you cannot thrust the computer, the time to be considered is after the ascent, when you reach the depth of the first stop, usually 9m. So if the ascent is slow (as it should always be) the additional time is considered as bottom time.

No, because the ti

The time accunted by the table ends at bottom, when you start ascending. Instead in this emergency situation when you cannot thrust the computer, the time to be considered is after the ascent, when you reach the depth of the first stop, usually 9m. So if the ascent is slow (as it should always be) the additional time is considered as bottom time.
And when you are zig-zagging ("sawtoothing") in the middle of a dive?? When does the bottom time stop?
I'm trying to point out that the computer takes all this into account, including slow and fast ascent rates, perhaps imperfectly, but the tables don't take it into account at all.

Can't fix stupid. We have a "Darwin Crossing" here where every once in a while a person capable of getting into a university would step out into 4 lanes of traffic

I remember having a friend, a brilliant applied mathematician, and a full professor at Oxford come to visit me in Utah, and watching horrified as he decided to run across a 3 lane divided highway having first checked to see there were no cars coming FROM THE WRONG DIRECTION.

I still don't know how they all managed to stop in time.

Apparently they drive on the other side of the road in the UK.

And when you are zig-zagging ("sawtoothing") in the middle of a dive?? When does the bottom time stop?
I'm trying to point out that the computer takes all this into account, including slow and fast ascent rates, perhaps imperfectly, but the tables don't take it into account at all.
The time starts at splash from the boat, and ends when you are at 9m, under the boat or the buoy, and you look how much deco you need to make. It includes everything, the square profile must entirely surround the real profile. The depth is the maximum depth hit (not planned), even for just 1 second, and the time is the total time.
Again, I repeat, this is only in the exceptional case that the computer get confused by your diving profile (or by an hardware/software failure, or battery dies), and starts beeping, without providing anymore any reliable suggestion for a proper deco.
In such cases there is no more any reliable estimation from the computer, so there are not many other choices. Of course, many technical divers carry a backup computer (which indeed can suffer of the same problems, if the algorithm is the same, and the crazy diving profile triggers its failure in the same way). A backup computer, instead, is good in case of battery down, or water leakage.
Rec divers, indeed, usually only have a single computer, and their backup is the watch and the depth meter with retention of max depth (which in my case is inside the watch), and the tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom