Free places to dive in TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$25 bucks a pop to go diving in Texas is outrageous to me. When I first went to Athens Scuba Park and heard their fees I nearly walked out and left. Especially as I could freedive nearly the whole pond.

I used to run the local trips for the TAMU scuba club, and here's where we dive. We've got cheap mastered to a science.

Windy Point. $5-15 per person to get in. This varies between weekdays, weekends, if you are a DM or instructor, or depending on the owner's mood. I've been reimbursed by him when the weather sucked. I think the high rate is a weekend one, when the owner has a headache.

Mansfield Dam. $5 per diver. You can also set up a $5 night dive, where they let you in after the park closes. It's $15 to camp.

Lake Whitney. $5 per person.

Comal River. Free, or you pay to get into Landa RV Park. They have special diver rates if you ask them $5 per person/day.

Lake Amistad Reservoir. Free, but you really need a boat to get anywhere useful.

Possum Kingdom. $10 per diver per day. They have freshwater crabs... I'm dying to find out what species they are.

San Marcos River. Free. There's a string of public parks near the freeway. Just park cars at both ends and you're home free.

Blue Lagoon. $15 per person per day. We find this rather steep, but it's the closest site to College Station.

Coleto Creek Reservoir. $7 per VEHICLE per day.

Canyon Lake.?? It's cheap at any rate. I can't get their fees straight since the place is a series of little parks. Somebody help!

Twin Lakes. $12 per diver per day. Too bad about the trees...

Port Aransas/Mansfield/South Padre Jetties. Free but you have to get DOWN THERE.

Offat's Bayou (Galveston). Free.

Aquarena Springs. Free (after you take and pass their class). They even refill your tank for repeat dives!

Moody Gardens and Texas State Aquarium. Free, but you have to join their dive programs.

For more info, you can check out our handy dandy "aggie guide to texas diving" (written by ME) here at... http://scubaclub.tamu.edu/divespots.html

balmorhea state park in west texas is $3 to dive

lake elmer thomas near lawton, ok is free (10-15 ft visibility)

seven and 1/2 fathom reef off padre island is free (need a boat to get to it)

Martin Myers:
seven and 1/2 fathom reef off padre island is free (need a boat to get to it)

FINALLY, a hit on 7.5 fathom. Have you been there recently?

Foo:
Lake Purkey...otherwise known as Murky Purkey.
Foo

I just rememebered Tony talking about a power plant lake near Marshall. So I guess that could be it.

I need to look that one up and go dive it. Then see if I can talk the shop I'm working for into going there for the winter checkout dives.

Balmorreah is too far for me.

TwoBit

Last year Mansfield Dam for $5 per VEHICHLE..did they change it?

is Brady Branch....
and IF you don't have a boat, I could see rains making it "murky" since the only boat ramp/ access is at a shallow cove with a lot of watershed area that's good ol' east Texas red clay. Even though, when Bren did here check out in June '02, the viz was 15-20 and temps were running a toasty 94/94.....can you say HOT TUB? Still working on getting that pontoon boat.... maybe I should check with JT.. LOL

According to their website, the rates at Mansfield Dam Park are now as follows.

Day Use: $8 per vehicle
Night Dive: $5 per vehicle
Overnight Camping: $20 per vehicle.

If you don't caravan, this isn't much better over Windy Point. I liked it better anyway...

Entrance to Travis LCRA parks (including Bob Wentz Windy Point and Mansfield) is now $8/vehicle or you can buy an annual pass for $75.

Dang...

leiserom:
In my opinion in diving as everything else there is no such thing as a free lunch.. a free place to dive will have no entry docks, shelters, underwater attractions at least from a lake standpoint. No one is going to put these kind of things out there without the expectation of an income. The gulf is free but of course you need a boat to get out there.

Just my opinion

The free spot will, of course, have FREE ALLIGATORS, at least in most places here in Tejas!

Good points, Leiserom!

BJD :anakinpod

P.S.---(TANSTAAFL: There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom