Freakin airfare - why so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is going to force more people to think about alternatives such as Curacao, I am going this May for less than $400 RT from JFK Airport.

This is going to force more people to think about alternatives such as Curacao, I am going this May for less than $400 RT from JFK Airport.

I though you could get Bon tickets from JFK at a sane price too if you tried hard enough. When you have to first get to someplace that has flights there, without changing airports, and getting to the destination while it's still light o'clock on the same day, that's when things get interesting. For either island -- though Cur is still cheaper.

I'm extremely happy that I will finally be able to fly to Bonaire without flying to Aruba and taking Insel Air to Bonaire. American starts a flight from Miami to Bonaire this summer. Costs me about a grand from Philadelphia. Get there about 3:15 in the afternoon, may be in time to get in our orientation and 1st dive with Dive Friends that afternoon

Yeah the American flight is not bad and you leave at 4pm so can dive fairly late the day before.

Buddy and I just booked a trip for the week of 2/17. He used expedia and combined air and hotel. Those prices can be like a moving target too. You have to be flexible as to where you stay though.

Gotta agree.... Will be cheaper to fly to Jakarta in October than Bonaire in may. Makes no sense.

I didn't find airfare to Cur a whole lot different than Bon. The only advantage that I saw was in reasonable flight times and that's from NYC. I'm in a bad spot to fly from (Albany, NY). And, no it's actually worse and more costly driving to Newark/JFK/LaGuardia. I've tried it several times and it sux and overall saves no money.

On the other hand I can fly nonstop to Ft. Lauderdale for <$200 roundtrip with a couple of hours flight time from Albany. Rent a car and drive to Key Largo, stay at a hotel, eat out, and dive with Rainbow - 2 morning, 2 afternoon dives a day for a lot less than Bonaire would currently cost.

Don't get me wrong, I love the freedom of diving Bon and I'm not comparing Bon to KL. I'd much prefer Bon, but KL is so much less expensive right now, and there are no customs lines to deal with, no connections, and with a direct flight I won't have to pack a carry-on because It's going to be hard for them to lose my checked bag. Really critical stuff (computer, perscription mask, reg) will fit in my "personal item".

Being philosophical, I won't have to decide when or where I want to dive - that's decided for me. Yeah, I know, that's a real stretch. Like I said, I would much prefer Bon. I just can't justify the current cost nor could I endure 18-72 hours either going or returning.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom