Four years later, or why I'm still a DIR diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check the standards and procedures for the maximum student-to-instructor ratio. For most of the classes being discussed in this thread, I believe it's 6:1.

None of the classes have 6:1 in water AFAIK. UTD allows 4:1 for some classes (so up to eight students with two instructors, say for Essentials), while I believe all GUE classes are max 3:1 (so up to six students with two instructors, say for Fundies).

I agree with Liger, stick with 3:1 if you can. Perfect ratio IMO.

Quick glance and there is no GUE/UTD instructors nearby Charlotte, NC.

I wonder how many students would be a worthwhile for one to do a weekend class here.
For Fundies, it's three students max. We had 5 students in my class, and had Bob Sherwood as the instructor and a GUE Intern Instructor Steve Millington. We did two groups, a team of 2 and a team of 3 whenever we were in the water. Both Bob and Steve were in the water with each team.

I wonder how many students would be a worthwhile for one to do a weekend class here.

Well, the UTD website said 1 to 6, and the GUE said 1 to 4.

The "Ouch" part finally hit -- they want you to have particular equipment - the backplate, wing, 7' primary, necklace secondary. . . .

I was hoping to learn skills, but cannot be changing equipment at this point, doggone it.
GUE requirements: GUE Fundamentals | Global Underwater Explorers
UTD: http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/page/essentials-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh heck. Just read up on it on the internet (here on Scubaboard). Thats all you need.

Before you know it....you will be in the DIR forum teaching it.

Why not ... in the years I've been posting here I can think of a few folks I thought were GUE instructors ... till I found out they hadn't passed Fundies yet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ed Gabe is in Lexington, KY.
GUE Instructor résumé | Global Underwater Explorers

The reality is that if you want (way) better than average training you either need to travel a bit or bring an instructor in to you. I know Ed travels throughout the southeast.

GUE Fundies is about DIR diving (so skills, nitrox, team diving, and standard gear configuration). Most instructors would have gear you could rent/borrow. You'd also be surprised how easy it is to get "DIR-compliant" gear for cheap (either used, or by flipping the gear you have now). A BP/W, a few hoses, and some new fins really isn't that bad if you can work a few deals.

UTD Essentials is basically a skills development course (a sort of Fundies-lite). If you're just looking to get some very high-level in-water practice, this might be a good class for you. You do need a long hose and non-split fins, but not a BP/W.

Both classes cost about the same.

The "Ouch" part finally hit -- they want you to have particular equipment - the backplate, wing, 7' primary, necklace secondary. . . .

I was hoping to learn skills, but cannot be changing equipment at this point, doggone it.

UTD: Essentials - Unified Team Diving

I don't have BP/w but have long hose and new equipment I am buying (short of not being completely black :wink: ) should be ok for GUE/UTD. I plan to venture into BP/w (I do have back inflate now but it is Aeris 5 Oceans) early next year I think. I even replaced split fins with regular (Hollis F1) couple of weeks ago.

So why do I stay with it?

You have been assimiliated.

UTD: Essentials - Unified Team Diving

You can't take full advantage of the instruction in a hodgepodge of equipment. Most (all?) instructors for both UTD and GUE have loaner plates + wings. Some even have hoses you can borrow since some folks do prefer a 5 or 6' primary hose vs. the 7ft. A ~22" backhose hose and some bungie is seriously cheap.

Back
Top Bottom