Found on eBay - DIY FFM - humor/horror/genius?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowwall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure whether this should go here or on the Post Your Pretty Funny Stuff thread. But someone is trying to sell a FFM made by literally zip-typing a reg to the snorkel tube of a full face snorkel mask.

Bids start at a low, low $149.99 - Mares MR42 Proton Metal With Diving Mask and camera attachment | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Breathing characteristics wouldn't be great..... but I don't see why it wouldn't work (at first glance, anyway).

If you want to recreate this with your own classic reg. Here's the mask:
Robot or human?

Looks like they cut the snorkel tube down.
I have a similar one the kids wanted for in the pool.... just may try it for sheetz and giggles.

Breathing characteristics wouldn't be great..... but I don't see why it wouldn't work (at first glance, anyway).
CMIIW but the eye pocket is separated from the naso-oral area. The air flows in a perimeter channel. How would you equalize that pocket? Unless that mask is jury-rigged to compensate, your eyeballs will pop out at depth. What am I missing?

CMIIW but the eye pocket is separated from the naso-oral area. The air flows in a perimeter channel. How would you equalize that pocket? Unless that mask is jury-rigged to compensate, your eyeballs will pop out at depth. What am I missing?
It's similar to a gas mask... air flows into the upper portion (also defogging it), and through non-returns into the oral/nasal pocket. From there it goes out a separate channel to the snorkel or out a purge at the chin.

Tank gas goes through the eye section first. It's at ambient so no need to equalize. The bonus is that if the mask fits correctly, it can't fog.

The gas path suggests that the bubble part of the description is wrong though since exhaust will be through the mask's chin exhaust, not the second stage.

"I am selling a bunch of scuba related gear for a friend. I have yet to see anything quite like this. My assumption is that this is intended for underwater photography/video so exhaust bubbles don’t get in the way while shooting."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom