Found him ~3 miles out after an hour of searching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Guy" may just be too cheap to pay for Nitrox. If that is not the case, then he is an ignoramus. Unfortunately for me, introductions on future dive boats might be a bit stressful: I too am an old guy named Guy, but I'm not that "Guy."
“Guy’s” name in this thread was not “Guy”. So any guy named “Guy” is not the guy this story is about.

My apologies to anyone really named Guy.

"Guy" may just be too cheap to pay for Nitrox. If that is not the case, then he is an ignoramus. Unfortunately for me, introductions on future dive boats might be a bit stressful: I too am an old guy named Guy, but I'm not that "Guy."
Maybe he doesn't have a nitrox card?

If Guy refused to stay as deep as the rest of the group, the divemaster should have stopped him from diving altogether or required him to hire a private divemaster. What would happen if Guy ran out of gas or otherwise had a problem?

Just a friendly reminder...
I used to search for people in open ocean from the air. I recommend that you carry all of the following signal devices, all of the time:

Signal mirror
Sea dye
SMB

I carry a regular 1-meter SMB, but I also carry a 3-meter SMB. And sometimes I carry a GPS satellite beacon and a strobe.

Just a friendly reminder...
I used to search for people in open ocean from the air. I recommend that you carry all of the following signal devices, all of the time:

Signal mirror
Sea dye
SMB

I carry a regular 1-meter SMB, but I also carry a 3-meter SMB. And sometimes I carry a GPS satellite beacon and a strobe.
Could a dive flashlight replace the mirror? I suppose the light could run out of battery, but the mirror wouldn't be as useful on a cloudy day. I also carry two SMBs: a shorter one attached to a spool for ease of deployment, and a longer one if needed on the surface if chop is high.

Could a dive flashlight replace the mirror? I suppose the light could run out of battery, but the mirror wouldn't be as useful on a cloudy day. I also carry two SMBs: a shorter one attached to a spool for ease of deployment, and a longer one if needed on the surface if chop is high.
You won't see a flashlight in daytime. The mirror reflects sunlight back so is very easy to spot during day.

You won't see a flashlight in daytime. The mirror reflects sunlight back so is very easy to spot during day.
Carry both. I hang a signaling mirror from my neck inside my suit.

Sunlight reflecting from a mirror is a very narrow beam, plus there is that angle of incidence equaling the angle of reflection business. How can you tell that your beam is hitting the eyes of whomever you want to see it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom