Found Camera - stage.com - Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am glad that so many people are viewing this thread and that Aquahound is being rewarded for his forthrightness in trying to find the owner, to the good people here at ScubaBoard, and our new members that may, or may not be interested in scuba but are most welcome to be here

"The Nikon Coolpix L18 camera survived the long voyage bone dry and looking new inside of the durable Ikelite ULTRAcompact housing. When it finally arrived in Key West after six months at sea the case was in great shape underneath a salty crust of ocean growth."

Shameless plug? :rofl3:

I just bought my dad a "My Aqua Case" for fathers day... I wish I read this story before I made the purchase. :(

Notice they mentioned "bone dry" and "looking new" but didn't bother to note the OP's statement that the camera no longer worked?

:rofl3:

Ike aka "it's all in the spin"

Even if it is a plug they deserve it...They are, hands down, one of the best companies I have ever had dealings with!!!!!! IKELITE ROCKS!!!

I'll definitely look into their lineup if I ever need anything else. :cool2:

Notice they mentioned "bone dry" and "looking new" but didn't bother to note the OP's statement that the camera no longer worked?

:rofl3:

Ike aka "it's all in the spin"
Noticed that. :D Floating without leaking is a small feat for any plastic bottle with the cap replace, it's how the housing handles 130 ft dives with currents etc, and I wonder how good the buttons work or the lens views - but still a fun story. Glad that some notices gave the link to the real story here, and that some have enjoyed reading it.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 161 (9 members and 152 guests)

Wonderful thread and story even if I did know the ending.:D My wife sent me a link to an article and I had to come here and read how it all transpired. Awesome work for everyone involved!

GREAT JOB AQUAHOUND!!

Its amazing to me that this took just a few weeks to solve. Its a testament to why we need to keep the internet free and hope that one day EVERYONE can be connected EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME!

Frankly I would have been amazed if that camera still worked. Dont forget thats an electronic device that spent most of its time floating with one side always exposed to direct sunlight FOR SIX MONTHS. Not to mention the mini greenhouse effect that would take place in the housing leading to some wicked temperatures. I say props to Ike and Nikon....and of course all the members of scubaboard. I am now a member because of this story and the great people here :)

GREAT JOB AQUAHOUND!!

Its amazing to me that this took just a few weeks to solve. Its a testament to why we need to keep the internet free and hope that one day EVERYONE can be connected EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME!

Frankly I would have been amazed if that camera still worked. Dont forget thats an electronic device that spent most of its time floating with one side always exposed to direct sunlight FOR SIX MONTHS. Not to mention the mini greenhouse effect that would take place in the housing leading to some wicked temperatures. I say props to Ike and Nikon....and of course all the members of scubaboard. I am now a member because of this story and the great people here :)
Yeah, Ikelite are apparently the best, didn't mean to imply that they weren't, and the 6 months of greenhouse is probly what cooked the Nikon alright, even tho they are among the best cameras.

I did Thanks all of the new members who posted here this week, then Admin removed all traces of the Thanks feature. :sad:

Ah Aol news finally picked it up, with a link to SB...
Camera travels 1,100 miles by sea... and turtle
I dropped my waterproof camera into twenty feet of ocean water once while snorkeling off the coast of Mexico. As I watched my camera drift slowly to the rocky bottom I knew I couldn't hold my breath long enough to retrieve it. Luckily for me a free diver was in our party and rescued my electronic treasure. The thought of a losing a camera can be somewhat sickening. Once gone most never expect to see it again. Royal Dutch Navy sergeant Dick De Bruin never thought he'd see his camera after losing it at a dive site off the shores of Aruba. Yet after six months of travel the camera found it's way back to him.

US Coast Guard officer Paul Schultz discovered the red Nikon camera, still in it's waterproof case, banging against the rocks of a marina in Key West Florida. The camera wasn't marked with any identification tying it to the owner so Schultz looked through the photos and video still preserved on the camera. The pictures held few clues. There were photos of two divers standing beside a truck with a blue roofed building in the background, a family on a couch, and a curious video. It appeared to have been taken accidentally by none other than a sea turtle. The footage shows the strap of the camera hooked on the turtles fin. In the five minute clip the camera is violently thrashed by the turtle's fin then floats to the surface.

Schultz posted the photos to ScubaBoard.com and CruiseCritic.com and the mystery was solved. Members of the sites recognized a plane's tail number and tracked it to the island of Aruba. Another site visitor recognized some of the children in a photo and pointed Schultz to Dick de Bruin. "I have a smile on my face. I can't stop laughing about it," de Bruin commented. "It's really big news on the island."

Last edited:
If this is big news on Aruba-- no offense, jus' sayin'-- then how is the whole Joran Van Der Sloot thing blowing up over there?

haha

Since they have taken it all away, I figured I'd just throw it out there one last time for everyone who helped....
post_thanks1.gif

Back
Top Bottom