Forum descriptions - Basic vs. Advanced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevonDiver:
We have the 'New Divers' forum for that.

I've always thought so too, but I'm not making those decisions for SB.

DevonDiver:
The Basic Scuba forum was included in the 'Green Zone' because there was no need for "brutal criticism" within mainstream/recreational diving topics.

BS.

DevonDiver:
The words used are "politely and friendly". Why would being polite and friendly cause such a cramp in your debating style?

Every forum on the entire board should be polite and friendly. Green zones go way beyond that and discourage debate. Anytime I'm posting in a green zone, I'm wondering if someone will twist my words to take offense.

DevonDiver:
Do I need to post the Special Rules again?

Of course not. We can read them where you found them or we can read your earlier post.

DevonDiver:
It's quite clear what the forum IS.

Ah, but it's not clear at all. It has always been a forum for advanced (beyond open water) topics. Now it's a technical forum that's not a technical forum.

DevonDiver:
The debate you are referring to was referenced to the PADI MSD certification.

Suddenly, it becomes clear - put the discussion in a green zone so no one can say anything critical of PADI.

DevonDiver:
Incorrect. I am talking about the ability to debate on a simular 'wavelength'.

Then it should stay out of green zones.

For what its worth:
  • I find the two different descriptions of the Advanced forum conflicting and confusing; and
  • I think moving a thread between forums should be reserved for threads which are obviously in an inappropriate place.
I don't care that much, but seeing as we have dedicated a whole thread to the point...

Advanced Scuba Discussions
"Have a Scuba question that's beyond a 'basic' one but not really 'technical?' Get it answered here."

I thought after reading that, it was pretty clear what the forum was for .. anything more than basic but less than technical diving

I never read the "Please Read* Special Forum Rules / Terms of Service "
I did, and now am surprised to learn that it is very much more for only technical questions/discussions than I thought before

Reactions: Jax
"Have a Scuba question that's beyond a 'basic' one but not really 'technical?' Get it answered here."

I thought after reading that, it was pretty plain what the forum was for

I never read the "Please Read* Special Forum Rules / Terms of Service "
I did, and now am surprised to learn that it is very much more for only technical questions/discussions than I thought

Thus the confusion.

I think I would have the Advanced Forum it at its "face" value and go with the primary description in the forum header.

Having the ability to post less than just ... "advanced nitrox and trimix diving, decompression diving, cave diving and wreck penetration diving, blackwater diving, etc" would open up the forum more to those that want to continue their progression toward those areas

Sounds like we need a word other than Advanced in the forum name. And perhaps Basic Scuba should be renamed "Recreational Scuba."

Sounds like we need a word other than Advanced in the forum name. And perhaps Basic Scuba should be renamed "Recreational Scuba."

Recreational scuba covers many advanced areas. Sounds more to me like they either to be more generalized or more specific. One way or the other. I read the thread subject when i check for new threads and don't care where it is located.

We are thinking of adding this to the Advanced Scuba Diving Forum description:

Have a Scuba question that's beyond a 'basic' one but not really 'technical?' Get it answered here.

This is a forum that allows for more direct responses. Some of these may come across as abrasive if they're not the answers you're looking for. While we don't expect responses here to be sugarcoated and full of puppies and rainbows, we still expect you follow the basic ToS guidelines of mutual respect, both in your responses and from those that respond to you.

As always, your thoughts are solicited and welcome.

Reactions: Jax
In the Forum Description, maybe explicitly including some specific terms might get newcomers to post in the most appropriate forums, such as labels mentioned in the previous discussion such as advanced nitrox and wreck penetration, which may be partially in the gray area short of full 'technical diving'. Similarly 'helpful' might be specifically listing categories which might be more suited to "Basic", such as AOW, recreational nitrox and maybe MSD.

I can see pluses and minuses to both being explicit and being vague, but on the whole, experienced posters will know where they want to go regardless and the additional guidance would help relative newcomers avoid getting singed in the cross fire quite as often.

Last edited:
In the Forum Description, maybe explicitly including some specific terms might get newcomers to post in the most appropriate forums, such as labels mentioned in the previous discussion such as advanced nitrox and wreck penetration, which may be partially in the gray area short of full 'technical diving'. Similarly 'helpful' might specifically listing categories which might be more suited to "Basic", such as AOW, recreational nitrox and maybe MSD.

I can see pluses and minuses to both being explicit and being vague, but on the whole, experienced posters will know where they want to go regardless and the additional guidance would help relative newcomers avoid getting singed in the cross fire quite as often.

Good ideas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom