Fort Wetherill, Jamestown, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn, good for you, we should have gone there instead of Kings Beach. Viz was under 5' there.

Can anyone recommend a good resource or guide to identifying New England sea life? I'd like to be able to tell why kind of fish and crab I'm looking at.

Can't wait to get back in the water!

-Faith

Marine Life Of The North Atlantic by Andrew Martinez. I would say it's the best field guide for the area. If you want to identify something you saw diving in New England, it's in this book.

Marine Life of the North Atlantic: Canada to Cape May: Andrew J. Martinez, Candace Storm Martinez: 9781881652359: Amazon.com: Books

That's a rare day when FW is better vis than Kings Beach! Next time you dive NP try Green Bridge just a little ways down the drive. The spot where there are coves on both sides of the road. Swim out the cove on the ocean side and around the 3 large rock formations you'll see outside the cove. Outside the cove swim SW / S / NE then N for the return leg. If you do it right you'll be back at the mouth of the cove. One of my favorite shore dives. To the SW you'll see Gooseberry Island the home of the natural archways.

Thanks for the report. We did not make it Sun. Maybe next month. Sounds like you had good vis.

Hi Jess,

Yes, the Groton dive is coordinated by Scuba Shack in Rocky Hill.

If you go to their website, under calendar is a drive & dive section. Fill out the online form to sign up and you will receive an email with all the important info.

http://scubashackct.com/calendar/drive-dive/

I'll see you there!
-Faith

FaithC, thanks for starting a Ft Wetherill thread. I would encourage others diving FW to post here to give the rest of us updates etc. If I make it out tomorrow to dive, I'll post a report.

I have plans to go again later this month and in Sept. too. So I will be sure to post an update as well.

Dove FT W today. Beautiful day. Arrived around 10:30 with the tide low and just starting to come in. First dive cove on the right down the boat ramp and around to the cove on the left. 33 mins. Max depth 28 with temps 66 at depth and 70 at surface. Vis a disappointing 3-5 but I have experienced worse. Saw a nice striped bass out at the point, some black fish, spider crabs, starfish and a flounder. Found a soft weight right out from the ramp. Could not have been there long from the looks of it. If you lost it recently just let me know. There were some divers out, not many. A large group of students heading in just as I finished my second dive. Second dive just in the cove on the right. Finished off the tank max depth 19 with a time of 15 (a 63). Hope to make it out again this summer and hope for better vis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom