Fort Myers area diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakittymarie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My family is going to be in the Fort Meyers area (Sanibel Island) June 30- July7 and I would like to get away for one day and dive. Any suggestions on trips and Dive shops that may take 2 of us out? We are fine going out with others. We would like to do 2-3 dives if possible. How is the visibility that time of year?
Thanks!!

what sort of diving do you like to do ?

- if you like reefs etc. then your best bet is to drive down to Key Largo, Tavenier or accross to Ft Lauderdale/Pompano type of area - the drive will take you 2 or 3 hours

- if you like to spearfish then Ft Myers is good (contact DeansDiveCenter.com to see if they will organize something)

This isn't diving related, but if you get the chance while on Sanibel, do check out the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge. They have guided tours that are really cool & also have kayaking tours that are very educational about estuaries. I wasn't yet diving the last time I was down there, but I found that you can find some really nice shelling by snorkeling in 6-8' of water off of sunset beach on Captiva, if you're into that kind of thing. The beach is on the South Seas Plantation resort Towards the tip near the golf course. You can get to it, but you'll have to park off the resort & take the resort bus to the beach (about 2mi). My sister used to live on Captiva & I visited there several times. It's my favorite part of FL. Oh yeah, You'll also have to pay a visit to Chee' burger Chee' burger, a great little burger joint:D .

This is my reply whenever we get this sort of question at the shop....

Diving off Fort Myers is advanced diving as the vis, water temp, depths and even the boat trip can be challenging. In the winter the water temps run in the low sixties and the vis is minimal. In the summer afternoon storms can pop up without warning. Even finding the right charter company takes some experience and one needs to find a crew who really knows how to handle divers.

The sites to dive off Fort Myers are at least 2 hours out, and the better sites much further to get to decent vis and any sort of depth. Heck, five miles offshore one is usually only in 18-20 feet of water. There are almost no "dive boats" in the Fort Myers area, but some fishing charters will take out divers- usually on spearfishing trips. These trips are expensive due to fuel and time. Most run three tank trips/six packs for around $150 per person if you fill the boat and do not include tanks. You will leave around 7 AM and get in between 3 and 5 PM. Obviously, your charter will need to be set up way in advance. Many people do not like a 2.5 hour boat ride to 120 fsw a total of 45 minutes of bottom time, and another 2.5 hour trip back to the docks.

There is nothing convenient or close in proximity about diving in the Gulf of Mexico as one can compare it to a desert- flat sand. The days are long, the boat rides often miserable, the vis is usually poor, it is expensive, and pretty colors are rare. However, the spearfishing is very, very good. And if you want to see giant animals that get you heart racing then the Gulf is worth the hassles. Anytime there is structure in the desert it is loaded with life. It can be an amazing dive, but nine time out of ten what most people are seeking in a Florida dive is not in the Gulf. This is why we often offer many trips to the East Coast or the Keys. In the same amount of time one can travel to the Fort Lauderdale area or Key Largo as it takes to get to the dive sites off Lee County.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions feel free to call Dean's Dive Center in Fort Myers (www.deansdivecenter.com) and we can help set up a trip to the Atlantic or, if you are so inclined a day on the Gulf of Mexico.

Sincerely,
Matt - Dean’s Dive Center
Fort Myers, FL

PS- Sanibel and Captiva are awesome. You will have a great time whether you dive or not.

Hmm..maybe if yawl are nice to me I'll take ya out on my lil center console... :)

Small nearshore artificial reefs and ledges all within 5 miles of shore :)

stu_in_fl:
what sort of diving do you like to do ?

- if you like reefs etc. then your best bet is to drive down to Key Largo, Tavenier or accross to Ft Lauderdale/Pompano type of area - the drive will take you 2 or 3 hours

- if you like to spearfish then Ft Myers is good (contact DeansDiveCenter.com to see if they will organize something)

Hiya Marie. I was just doing a search for you. Anyway, I would go with what Stu here is saying. Even take Bulla up on his offer. He is an alright kinda guy :wink: j/k he is great.

I will also second what Matt said - you Captiva/Sanibel are great. I was there once when the stingrays were mating or something. Thousand of them cruising along the beach, very cool indeed. The only reason I have never returned is lack of diving.

I had to correct the city name "Fort Myers" not Meyers like a hot dog :D

Thanks for the compliment Tracey!

I have to be honest, at that time of year, barring our first rains bringing the fertilizer run off that everyone except the developers and county council members will admits causes red tide, the Gulf waters are just absolutely amazingly clear and warm! Last summer near shore was amazing down by Lovers Key State Park.

I've had some incredible dives in early July in the Gulf off Fort Myers. Matt's post has excellent information. I agree, the Gulf is not for beginners, but if you have some experience and are looking to have your socks blown off by big fish, the Gulf is excellent. Sometimes the viz is even good in the Gulf. Actually, the best viz I've ever encountered was in the Gulf in early July. The water was air clear, boats looked like they had nothing supporting them, Dolphins and Barracuda looked like they are floating in air, even before we got in the water. Unfortunately, such viz is rare and that great viz disappeared at the thermocline at 50 ft........

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom