Forgot to set computer nitrox mix, what a PIA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What planet are you on Tigerman?? First and foremost, I agree that diving without a computer is perfectly fine, but there has to be a legitimate well though plan....this is where mrchen has failed to supply any pertinent info..other than he followed the DM.
Second, the dive site and depth was very clear in the OP, and 90+ fsw is far different than the 33ft you reference at the end of your post.

this is where mrchen has failed to supply any pertinent info..other than he followed the DM
Yeah, so why do you know that what he was doing was "inherently unsafe" given that you dont have all that much info?
Thats my point exactly. People jump on the omg youre gonna die train without knowing all the details...

Yeah, so why do you know that what he was doing was "inherently unsafe" given that you dont have all that much info?
Thats my point exactly. People jump on the omg youre gonna die train without knowing all the details...
The "inherently unsafe" part isn't diving without a computer. The "inherently unsafe" part is not knowing what your NDL is.

Well, it has a lot to do with the way he explained it. Perception is everything, especially to the run of the mill diver. They see what he explained and think.."well that guy did this and was just fine".
I even asked for clarification about if he reverted to tables...remember? The rest of my responses were to folks that somehow deducted that he had "planned" the second dive, or even knew his NDL for the first dive. By his own description he was calculating his dives based off memory of what he has done in the past, which may or may not have been more of a radical profile than the dives he described.

Call me crazy, but even with as many dives as I have under my belt I still plan dives based off either tables or a deco planner. If I do decide to ride a computer, I won't disregard the deco obligation that it lays out for me based on MY inputs.

Hi MrChen. Its true that many (most?) computers will go into a lockout mode for a critical violation such as skipping deco. Unfortunately the computer doesn't know it had the wrong mix to determine your NDL and there is no way to reset the computer to recalculate the correct NDL.

Wrong.

Many (if not most) tech computers will never lock out, and will provide a best-guess as to your ascent profile when you swap to a new gas in the middle of the dive. Since they'll also allow you to alter your conservatism settings mid-dive, you can attempt to correct for the fact that the computer's best guess assumes a lower inert gas content prior to the diver's corrections than actually occurred.

To the OP: there's no reason this kind of thing (which is pretty unforgivable as a matter of proper dive planning, but that's between you and your maker) has to be a PITA. Get a computer that doesn't try to think for you, and be done with it.

Last edited:
...//... people here jump onto people for diving without a computer as if its a mortal sin. You dont need a computer, you can replan a dive on the fly and diving without a computer was how diving was taught only a few years ago. ...

The point, as I see it, is staying true to whatever plan that you splashed with. I'm fine with any/all the above if you have the self-discipline to stick to it.

The "inherently unsafe" part isn't diving without a computer. The "inherently unsafe" part is not knowing what your NDL is.
Did he ever state he did or didnt know what the NDLS was? Thats still a missing part of information isnt it?

Well, it has a lot to do with the way he explained it. Perception is everything, especially to the run of the mill diver. They see what he explained and think.."well that guy did this and was just fine".
I even asked for clarification about if he reverted to tables...remember? The rest of my responses were to folks that somehow deducted that he had "planned" the second dive, or even knew his NDL for the first dive. By his own description he was calculating his dives based off memory of what he has done in the past, which may or may not have been more of a radical profile than the dives he described.

Call me crazy, but even with as many dives as I have under my belt I still plan dives based off either tables or a deco planner. If I do decide to ride a computer, I won't disregard the deco obligation that it lays out for me based on MY inputs.
Ive never jumped to the conclusion that he planned everything, Im just noting that people jump in and conclude that just because he says hes done similar profiles before he DIDNT calculate anything...

Please stop trying to speak authoritatively just because you have some minor professional role in recreational diving--I've see something akin to this in many (if not most) of your posts, and in this case almost nothing at all you've said has any grounding in reality.

Many (if not most) tech computers will never lock out, and will provide a best-guess as to your ascent profile when you swap to a new gas in the middle of the dive. Since they'll also allow you to alter your conservatism settings mid-dive, you can attempt to correct for the fact that the computer's best guess assumes a lower inert gas content prior to the diver's corrections than actually occurred.

To the OP: there's no reason this kind of thing (which is pretty unforgivable as a matter of proper dive planning, but that's between you and your maker) has to be a PITA. Get a computer that doesn't try to think for you, and be done with it.

I see your post has it's usual accuracy. I have no professional role in diving, major or minor and this is the basic scuba forum so I doubt too many tech computers are involved.

Well I guess we can wait until he rejoins the conversation. Even you cannot deny what his postings as stated have implied.

Did he ever state he did or didnt know what the NDLS was? Thats still a missing part of information isnt it?
That doesn't change the fact that it's "inherently unsafe" to dive without knowing what your NDL is, which is all that people have been commenting on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom