Forgot to set computer nitrox mix, what a PIA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very good. Solo will be the first formal course where they really stress that you can get hurt diving. After Solo, consider TDI's Decompression Procedures, but first find an instructor that is all about the kind of diving that you do. No dives are required for this course. Purely informational, but you do walk away with your own deco tables and a lot of truly useful information that you can incorporate into your recreational diving. And I don't mean adding deco to your rec diving, it's more like always knowing where you are and how to get home.

After that, Advanced Nitrox.

-all suggestions, nothing more than that.

You are greatly misinformed about Decompression Procedures. It definitely requires dives, and the requirements for those dives are pretty intense. As someone who teaches these courses, I strongly recommend TDI's Intro to Tech first, which also requires dives. Then do both Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures at the same time--each is greatly enhanced by the other. These classes will make a HUGE change in your diving. I just taught an Intro to Tech class first class for a student a few days ago, and he was openly shocked at how much he had to learn. He won't be close to being ready for the Decompression Procedures class until he has mastered those Intro to Tech skills.

You are greatly misinformed about Decompression Procedures. ...//...

That is quite possible. My TDI Decompression Procedures book by "International Training 2000" Rev 1c, page 2, clearly states: "There is no requirement to actually perform a decompression dive,"

So things have changed. Thank you for the correction. I see this as a great loss for the recreational diver that has no interest in going tech.

What a damn shame for recreational divers to lose this resource...

TDI_DecoProcedures.jpg

sorry, i disagree. if you have no deco idea AND this is your backup plan, then you failed before you hit the water. you have not followed your training.

Yes fail, and your training is: Don't enter deco. I offered that brain-dead procedure just for this reason.

... if you get into a situation where you have no idea how far you are in deco...well that is just stupid.

Yes again, so that means that this never happens...

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I've ran the dive profiles through tables in the past. I've dove the profiles many times and I dove them more conservatively.

I knew the computer went into deco mode because I didn't program it for my actual mix. I made a decision to do my standard 3 min safety stop; hindsight is always 20/20 and I will consider the great advice given. I didn't know I'd be locked out of the computer afterwards, but I do now. Though I have read the manual and done the online training (several times), the fact that I'd get locked out didn't sink in.

I consider this a learning experience. I'm sure everyone remembers the first time their computer went into deco, whether by mis-programming or by error during the dive.

It's good that you are learning, but I have to ask.. what was your thought process in complaining about the computer? As far as the computer knows you violated a MANDATORY Deco stop. The computer now "thinks" you are bent. Did you not understand that when you "bend the computer" it will assume you are bent? I'm just confused as to why you thought the computer was doing something wrong or silly or unfair or excessively simplistic or conservative when it told you to stop diving after getting bent?

Did you honestly expect that the computer to allow you to blow off deco on each dive and just ... well I just can't comprehend your thought process when you started this thread.

If you were just a little better informed you could have done the other trick... hang a weight belt on a 20-ft line over the side and attach your computer to it... When people ask you what you are doing you just tell them that your computer needs to do some deco, but you feel fine and don't need it.. :D:D

That is quite possible. My TDI Decompression Procedures book by "International Training 2000" Rev 1c, page 2, clearly states: "There is no requirement to actually perform a decompression dive,"

So things have changed. Thank you for the correction. I see this as a great loss for the recreational diver that has no interest in going tech.
The problem is not so much that things have changed (although they definitely have), it is that you misunderstood that one sentence and took it out of context. There was "no requirement to actually perform a decompression dive in the course." There was, however, a requirement for dives. It was possible to do the course in which you pretended to be in decompression on your dives and then did the stops that would have been required of you. The course has a ton of requirements that must be satisfied while diving.

Thank you for that clarification, yes, my mistake.

I took that course concurrently with another TDI course and must have been given double credit for my deco and non-deco dives. For me, Deco Proc was all informational.

Thank you for that clarification, yes, my mistake.

I took that course concurrently with another TDI course and must have been given double credit for my deco and non-deco dives. For me, Deco Proc was all informational.

I would guess that 90% of people who take TDI's Deco Procedures course take it in conjunction with Advanced Nitrox. It is also possible to take both courses in conjunction with Intro to Tech. In fact, the TDI standards spell out options for teaching the three courses as if they were one course. I have a student doing that now, and I have another student whose cave certification means she can skip Intro to Tech. In planning the dives for them, I will create a sequence that will complete all the requirements in time, with the requirements for the courses blended on the dives we will be doing. A student would have a hard time telling which course requirements we were meeting on which dives. Taken course by course, though, the requirements for the Deco Procedures dives are by far the most intense.

It's good that you are learning, but I have to ask.. what was your thought process in complaining about the computer? As far as the computer knows you violated a MANDATORY Deco stop. The computer now "thinks" you are bent. Did you not understand that when you "bend the computer" it will assume you are bent? I'm just confused as to why you thought the computer was doing something wrong or silly or unfair or excessively simplistic or conservative when it told you to stop diving after getting bent?

Did you honestly expect that the computer to allow you to blow off deco on each dive and just ... well I just can't comprehend your thought process when you started this thread.

If you were just a little better informed you could have done the other trick... hang a weight belt on a 20-ft line over the side and attach your computer to it... When people ask you what you are doing you just tell them that your computer needs to do some deco, but you feel fine and don't need it.. :D:D

I never realized it would practically become useless. Half the menu options were gone, including gauge mode.

I never realized it would practically become useless. Half the menu options were gone, including gauge mode.

Once you have exceeded the capability of your computer to help you manage your DCS risk, There really isn't much it needs to do in the area of diving or dive planning except help you to the surface and help you wait long enough for your raised DCS risk to abate. Or are you still of a mind that they should help divers make adjustments to previous dives that would remove the violation?

There is a way to bring your computer back to life. With most computers, removing and reinstalling the battery will give you a "clean" computer as far as gas loading goes. You do understand why that would not be a good idea in your case, I hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom