• Upward and backward

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Downward and backward

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Can be in any direction you want it

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This applies to the standard flutter kick, not the modified flutter.

My opinion is, it is downward and backward - unless done in a modified flutter style. Not to harass or undermine the opinion of any instructor or experienced divers here. Simply stating that my belief is that many divers compensate for this force vector by diving with negative buoyancy.

This explains why one sees muck being kicked up even when a diver is 4 or 5 feet above the silt.

Sounds like we have a cause and effect issue here. When you say standard, do you mean "ideal" or "typical"? I have to wonder if it's accurate to say that divers compensate for the direction of force by overweighting themselves, or if they modify their flutter kicks to compensate for such overweighting.

The net force vector is opposite the direction the diver is moving.

There are likely residual components in other directions, which will vary by currents and a whole bunch of other factors.

Words like "backwards" and "upwards" imply a coordinate system to which the diver's body (and thus leg) position must be measured, and due to which I'll reply with the option "any direction you want."

The net force vector is opposite the direction the diver is moving.

..snip..

I'd hope the net force vector is in the direction the diver is moving (once steady state has been reached) and that the net resistance vector is opposite the direction the diver is moving. :lotsalove:

I feel that the flutter kick thrust is backwards and slighly down relative to a horizontal diver. I personaly compensate for this by triming weight so that my feet slightly above my head. This also has the benifit not stiring up any silt on the bottom.

It depends on your trim and buoyancy.

I'd hope the net force vector is in the direction the diver is moving (once steady state has been reached) and that the net resistance vector is opposite the direction the diver is moving. :lotsalove:

*slaps head*

what he said

Back
Top Bottom