Vents on Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure what the vents on Jetfins are supposed to do for thrust or what they do in the real world. It would be interesting to put them in a wind tunnel and look at laminar flow (has that ever been done for Jets?)
Sure it has been done, on the annular "wind gallery" at Technisub, built by Luigi Ferraro and Gianni Beltrani, See here their wind tunnel:
A number of innovative fins derived by their experimentations. Marketed under the Aqualung brand in the US.
Here one of the Beltrani's designs: Aqua Lung By Technisub Pinne Slingshot Aqua Lung By Technisub

ALFin1LoEd.JPG

Sure it has been done, on the annular "wind gallery" at Technisub, built by Luigi Ferraro and Gianni Beltrani, See here their wind tunnel:
A number of innovative fins derived by their experimentations. Marketed under the Aqualung brand in the US.
Here one of the Beltrani's designs: Aqua Lung By Technisub Pinne Slingshot Aqua Lung By Technisub

ALFin1LoEd.JPG
I played with bands from my spear gun on some Force Fin blades. But was worried (cost) about the way to attach it and its life span. But not a bad idea, and it works. Susanne saw what I was doing and commented, "changing the water flow was better. That's when I developed the moveable winglets. Engineers - Force Fin I Appreciate all the comments. Positive

Attachments

• 20021110-056.jpg
    20021110-056.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 41
  • ff-34-clean-resized-fw.jpg
    ff-34-clean-resized-fw.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 41
That would be a HUGELY popular topic here. Especially for us open ocean,
pat-foil001-w.jpg
scissor kickers !!
Wow, I hardly hear about scissor kickers. A long time ago, this US Marine combat diver asked me to make a narrow Force Fin. ( Pictured with the Extra Force) When he was scissor-kicking, the wing tips of the Pro Model kept hitting each other. It made sense, so I elongated the original Force Fin
marines001-fw.jpg
splitfin002-fw.jpg
design with a SPLIT down the center. This was the first SPLIT FIN. I filed Patents. What happened after that is another story. The SPLIT allowed the water flow to roll over the curved blade shape.https://forcefin.com/product/foil-force-fin/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom