Force Fins vs Jetfins - tek diving and all the kicks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"their" well done (this time)

Let me state this very simply - I am not marketing Force Fins - I have attempted to respond to questions and to try and explain to people that there are many models and picking the right model for your diving needs takes some thought/knowledge . Also, I have no control or input into what it costs to make Force Fins and whether or not YOU see them as competitive is your value judgement. They cost what they cost!!!

As far as my "blowing hot air" - the only hot air is coming from your flaming - I provide my experiences with Force Fins, you can believe it or not - I have nothing, repeat, nothing to gain from if you believe me or if you buy Force Fins.

As far as the videos go - all the ones, except for the demonstration of the rebound properties of the new Tan Delta, are over 6 years old and were done prior to the development of most of the higher end fins and the use of higher end materials,

If you want to meet me for some diving in a warm water location and you want to bring the video equipment, we can run side by side comparative tests (I don't own UW video equipment nor do any of my dive companions). Besides, if you are not part of the test, you will always claim that the test was "cooked", since it is obvious you already have a bias. So if you want the test, put your money where your mouth is!!! (at least you will get a dive trip out of it and form your own opinion)

An yes, I am well aware that Fiat owns Ferrari (and Chrysler also). What has that got to do with the quality/value of a product?

---------- Post added April 26th, 2015 at 04:29 PM ----------

Again - making statements without PROPER knowledge. It has already been stated that NONE of the higher end Force Fins is available until production is moved from CA to PA. And ALL the higher end fins come with your choice of bungie or cloth heel strap, a set of comfort insteps and a carry bag. I don't know what your $90 for "Trimmings" is for.

Also, Bob does not rely on Force Fins to make a living - I know he seriously considered shutting down Force Fins but was persuaded to keep it going by people who wanted the products.

And as far as the cost of fins on LP - if price is your only consideration - I will repeat, again - you do not need/want nor would you be a good prospective user of Force Fins. You can buy snorkel fins that WILL work for $20, so why not just use them - or you can use carbon fiber free diving fins for $1000, maybe they should be your choice. Your argument on $$$ is illogical.

I would not assume a video is cooked just because I did not take it. Your problem is that you assume too much and constantly appear to think that users of other fins are out to get you. I assure you I don't But taking you up on your offer: I will be in Anilao from May 18 on And I got a GoPro. Show up and I will do a video. Air fill and after dive beer is on me.

I don't know what your $90 for "Trimmings" is for.

Whiskers or whatever he calls them.

You can buy snorkel fins that WILL work for $20, so why not just use them

I would, actually, except us divers seem to only make barefoot-sized ones and bare feet/socks suck on e.g. bonaire.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2015 at 10:17 AM ----------

Your argument on $$$ is illogical.

No. The thread is force fins vs jet fins, all the kicks.

Jets are $131 at LP.

You yourself said that comparable FFs are xcel/hockey, they are
- currently unavailable and
- will cost at least twice as much when/if available.

QED. Obviously, the answer to force fins vs jet fins, all the kicks is Jets.

I would, actually, except us divers seem to only make barefoot-sized ones and bare feet/socks suck on e.g. bonaire.

One more reason I like Force fins. You can wear a bootie for the walk out, and in the fin. But they have less drag snorkeling than a conventional open heel fin.

And with the inserts you can go barefoot when it suits you.

My feet like booties.... My toes like to be warm.... I don't like stepping on sharp stuff... I'll keep my JETS...

Jim...

Everyone has their own opinion on fins. Mine is Jet Fins suck. I bought a pair to replace some old Oceanic Ocean pros and am unhappy with them. I know some people love them but I am not one of them. Also they seem to be made poorer than they were in the past. One guy broke 2 pairs of them.

As far as Force Fins go, they have been around for a long time. If they were total crap they would not still be around nor sell for such a high price second hand on eBay. The problems for these fins gaining wider acceptance is 1) They are expensive. They start in price where other fins leave off. 2) The benefits of the fin are not clearly defined. How much better are these fins than other fins? Showing potential customers a video on how they bend or the theory behind them does not quantify the benefit.

Everyone has their own opinion on fins. Mine is Jet Fins suck...

As far as Force Fins go, they have been around for a long time. If they were total crap they would not still be around...

Jet Fins have been around for a long time

Jet Fins have been around for a long time

I know. Actually Jet Fins predate Scubapro. The actual design was from Beuchat in France, one of Scubapro's founders was affiliated somehow with Beuchat. There has been significant advances material science since the early 1960s. I would think a better fin could be developed.

I would look at the lot numbers and look closely at the broken jet fin,.. I have pair that's well over 30 yrs old and they look beat up and have some ripped rubber but still usable... Just broke down and got a new pair... I'm good till I die I think....

Jim....

The benefits of the fin are not clearly defined. How much better are these fins than other fins? Showing potential customers a video on how they bend or the theory behind them does not quantify the benefit.

I used the regular FFs in a pool session, my instructor had a few pairs. I did like the way FFs fit. I did not care for the fin's shape and size, but a straight paddle model would probably be OK. I'm not dropping half a grand to find out, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom