Force Fins- Types of Kicks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey kris b...there’s movies on the forcefin site of jens hillbert doing his 34 mile marathon with forcefins...the movies show the most efficient kick pretty clearly.
One problem with force fins i found again this weekend. Dive with people without them, and your antsy because you don’t get to move!

I mean people look sideways at you before you get in the water, thinking ‘oh god he isn’t wearing those...the stroke’

But then during the dive your forced to swim 4 circles around them for every few meters they advance. They think your strange is the reason you must swim wider and wider circles around them, and are proud of the economy of movement exhibited by thier splits. While the forcefin diver must swim circles to make up for the sheer boredom of keeping pace with a splitfin diver.
The pairing of a forcefin diver and a split fin diver really strains the boundaries of the buddy system...what makes it worse is how nothing seems to make them get it.

etype once bubbled...
The pairing of a forcefin diver and a split fin diver really strains the boundaries of the buddy system...what makes it worse is how nothing seems to make them get it.

Hmm... so, forcefins are much more expensive than normal fins -- I need to pick up a "buddy-in-a-bottle" aka pony bottle if I get them, eh? :)

not necessarily. althought ponies are nice, i have no epistimological objections to their use, some here feel they offend the mandated ideological purity of spiritual scuba. These people do not understand why the reformation was necessary so many years ago. I think such doctrinarism limits one’s receptivity to revelation.

i use two, ‘19cf & 40cf’...you need one if your diving solo...or when on a dive that could go into decompression, such as a wreck penetration.

I do not think force’s are expensive...the hot new splits are pretty close in price. Like anything, some gear is worth the price.

If your short for cash, just get a pair you can afford and get force later. If you like, i will sell you a pair of Mares stratos regular fins for $40 Cdn. plus shipping. These are a excellent set of regular fins with very little use and in 1st rate condition. They are worth $ 140 cnd. new.

So you can use something cheap like these and save and get the force later. Where do you dive in Prince George?

etype once bubbled...
althought ponies are nice, i have no epistimological objections to their use, some here feel they offend the mandated ideological purity of spiritual scuba.

Sigh... yeah, I've heard that argument. There's something to be said for experiencing things in solitude, however. This was explored to a great extent by the Desert Fathers of the early CE.

I'm all for community, though... just sometimes a person needs to be by him/herself.

i use two, ‘19cf & 40cf’...you need one if your diving solo...or when on a dive that could go into decompression, such as a wreck penetration.

both on the same dives, or just one of the two depending on the dive?

I do not think force’s are expensive...the hot new splits are pretty close in price. Like anything, some gear is worth the price.

I know... but if you need a pony to go with them... that adds a few hundred dollars once you get the reg, etc. And $500+ is expensive for a pair of fins. :)

So you can use something cheap like these and save and get the force later. Where do you dive in Prince George?

I think I'll be going with the force in the next little while. As for diving around PG, there's a number of lakes and a quarry, only one of which I've tried. Other than that, there's some nice diving near the Hawaiian islands that I've experienced. :)

KrisB once bubbled...

Sigh... yeah, I've heard that argument. There's something to be said for experiencing things in solitude, however. This was explored to a great extent by the Desert Fathers of the early CE.

still holds for the scuba patriarchs of the later CE

I'm all for community, though... just sometimes a person needs to be by him/herself.

him/herself? Sounds like a period far before than the early CE. Sound like what maybe Aristophanes was talking about in Plato's Symposium, about how true love consists of finding our other half. "Human nature," he tells the crew at Agathon's crib, "was originally one and we were a whole, and the desire and pursuit of the whole is called love."
Is that the him/herself you mean? How humanity was once egg shaped and rolled around laughing all the live long day?

both on the same dives, or just one of the two depending on the dive?

as you would expect, just one depending on the dive. I use the 19cf for solo's where i'm doing any extended bottom time past 80. Use the 40 cf for unfamiliar wreck dives with unfamiliar divers. The 40 has saved a few asses,

I know... but if you need a pony to go with them... that adds a few hundred dollars once you get the reg, etc. And $500+ is expensive for a pair of fins. :)

Isn't more like $230 cnd.? Or is it the him/herself thing means four legs? Or do you plan to ride a horse into the water and have the horse finning? We could go farther with this...but it may be offtopic.

I think I'll be going with the force in the next little while. As for diving around PG, there's a number of lakes and a quarry, only one of which I've tried. Other than that, there's some nice diving near the Hawaiian islands that I've experienced. :)

Well, sometime you should get yourself down to the islands for the tour. There's some pretty good water down here, and very challenging diving. Diving those reef wrecks 'hmsc. Saskathewan, chaudiere, mackenzie and etc.' is well worth the trip and quite an awesome sight and dive. We don't have somoan girls in grass skirts...but thats just a flutter anyway...tourist titillation.

why do you need a pony to go with them? A pony is something seperate. I just advised a pony if you are diving any solo. I didn't mean to imply that swim force fins and you need a pony. Sounds like i'm running a scuba shop...and buy these mares stratos...thats wh'cha need...yewbetcha! Why retail when you can buy wholesale! Buy this crate of stratos and we'll give you a deal on a boxcar of ponies!
While yer atit...have a gander at these novelty whoopee cushion wetsuits! Think of the laughs on your next charter....you heard it here first..and you heard it here best! C'mon down and bring the him/herself! You don't need no desert! NOSIRREE! WE GOT IT ALL! FROM PAPERBACKS NOVEELS TO BRBQ SAUCE THAT WILL CURE YOUR SNAKEBITE!.......that's rite...cure yur snakebite and tenderize grandma's sunday dinner's sow belly......don't talk to me about chops! I got something yew ne'r seen before on chops.....

etype once bubbled...

him/herself? Sounds like a period far before than the early CE. Sound like what maybe Aristophanes was talking about in Plato's Symposium, about how true love consists of finding our other half. "Human nature," he tells the crew at Agathon's crib, "was originally one and we were a whole, and the desire and pursuit of the whole is called love."
Is that the him/herself you mean? How humanity was once egg shaped and rolled around laughing all the live long day?

Well, no. I was trying to make an attempt a political correctness (given the other threads you and I have participated in together).

On another note... humanity was once egg shaped?!? Whose a$$ did you pull that from?

Isn't more like $230 cnd.? Or is it the him/herself thing means four legs? Or do you plan to ride a horse into the water and have the horse finning? We could go farther with this...but it may be offtopic.

Well, I was thinking that the bottle would be ~$100 then another couple hundred for the regs, added to the forcefins. Comes out somewhere around $500. With taxes. :)

Well, sometime you should get yourself down to the islands for the tour. There's some pretty good water down here, and very challenging diving. Diving those reef wrecks 'hmsc. Saskathewan, chaudiere, mackenzie and etc.' is well worth the trip and quite an awesome sight and dive. We don't have somoan girls in grass skirts...but thats just a flutter anyway...tourist titillation.

Yeah... some of those girls are hot. But some of them definitely aren't. They don't have the same "taste" in women over there. Besides, unless she's willing to get that bikini wet, she's not for me! :)

Can I count on a dive buddy if I come over there?

As a side note... if I was 20 yrs older, the Women of Saltspring Island would be just as appealing as the grass skirt girls... :)

etype once bubbled...
why do you need a pony to go with them? A pony is something seperate. I just advised a pony if you are diving any solo. I didn't mean to imply that swim force fins and you need a pony.

Well, you did imply that swiming force fins might make you a solo diver... perhaps by accident. :)

KrisB once bubbled...

Well, no. I was trying to make an attempt a political correctness (given the other threads you and I have participated in together).

well KrisB...that political correctness thing is meant to make you sound like a transexual...it’s built into the concept...you end up speaking as if cross-dressing and identity assignment surgery is next up for the afternoon. Thats why one should stay clear of it.

On another note... humanity was once egg shaped?!? Whose a$$ did you pull that from?

Yes, between an egg and a cantelope. Thats old hat KrisB...havn’t you ever done drugs and watched teletubbies? Sure, the greeks believed that humanity was once eggshaped and rolled around extruding other eggshaped huminoids but then became flippant with the gods and so they were split in half....thus the birth of politcial correctness. A good take on greek myths, but totally erroneous and insane, and in no way supported by corresponding research, is Robert Graves The Greek Myths 1&2.
Now Graves had gone mad from his experiences in WWI, and these books are madness and pure invention by a shellshocked imagination...but they capture the insanity of the myths like no other. As long as you realize Graves is not on drugs and should be...they transmit the essense of the olympian sky religions like no other.

Well, I was thinking that the bottle would be ~$100 then another couple hundred for the regs, added to the forcefins. Comes out somewhere around $500. With taxes. :)

Think like $240 for a 19cf...and you need another reg and 1st for this.....400 for regs/octo and first stage if it's economy...and 240 for fins....thats 900 without taxes, and i didn't include the reg and stage for the pony. On the other hand you could do some things to economize... expensive sport ay?

Yeah... some of those girls are hot. But some of them definitely aren't. They don't have the same "taste" in women over there. Besides, unless she's willing to get that bikini wet, she's not for me! :)

After one travels awhile...usually while sitting on a street of a major metropolis somewhere watching women walk by...one comes to the shocking conclusion that the most beautiful women in the world are in Canada! And im not saying that to be patriotic...i'm saying it because it's true. It is really amazing whatever combination of forces that causes this...but Canadian women are most definately the most beautiful women in the world.

Can I count on a dive buddy if I come over there?

Yew betcha!

As a side note... if I was 20 yrs older, the Women of Saltspring Island would be just as appealing as the grass skirt girls... :)

Ahhhhh the women of saltspring...are there any so disgustingly evil and twisted by cannibilistic feminist ideology as the herpes plagued women of saltspring? Man you bought the koolaid. Believe me you don't want to go near any of them. Pure evil. It's like the island of circe...where sirens draw sailors unto the rocks and then turn them into pigs. In fact the 'real' society on those islands have been the most distopic societies i have ever seen. People entirely without honour, integrity or trust...just hippies slogans and earthfirst banners. It's almost, no not 'almost' it is like being among a cult which smiles brightly all day and all night and makes you think ''hey happy people' but evil lurks down below and when the gong strikes it's usually too late to do anything about.
saltspring island and a lot of those other islands are not too different than jonestown or heavensgate. Wierd man...and you DONOT want to get involved with any women from there......whew! i'll stop ranting...you scared me there. Look write this down on a piece of paper incase the moderator cuts this out. You must never forget this...do not trust anyone on those shiny happy islands...they are centers of sick and demonic cults. I'm not kidding at all either, this is no joke. Private message me if you want. Those hippies went over to the darkside a long time ago...no joke.

etype once bubbled...
well KrisB...that political correctness thing is meant to make you sound like a transexual...it’s built into the concept...you end up speaking as if cross-dressing and identity assignment surgery is next up for the afternoon. Thats why one should stay clear of it.

It's better than people that change it back and forth. I've read a few books where the neutral third-person singular pronoun alternates between "he" and "she" (one story or reference will be 'he' the next 'she'). It's terribly confusing!!!

Yes, between an egg and a cantelope. Thats old hat KrisB...havn’t you ever done drugs and watched teletubbies?

Sorry... nope. Those things freak me out (the teletubbies more than the drugs, truth be told).

Think like $240 for a 19cf...and you need another reg and 1st for this.....400 for regs/octo and first stage if it's economy...and 240 for fins....thats 900 without taxes, and i didn't include the reg and stage for the pony. On the other hand you could do some things to economize... expensive sport ay?

Those prices sound really high considering the (fairly good & expensive) regset I got was only $325... where you shopping?

IIRC, Oceansports has typically had AL80's for ~CA$120... would it not stand to reason that the 19cf should be at most that?

After one travels awhile...usually while sitting on a street of a major metropolis somewhere watching women walk by...one comes to the shocking conclusion that the most beautiful women in the world are in Canada! And im not saying that to be patriotic...i'm saying it because it's true. It is really amazing whatever combination of forces that causes this...but Canadian women are most definately the most beautiful women in the world.

That could be because they seem to care less about what other people think of them and are more confident in themselves. They haven't had society bombarding them (as much) with concepts of inferiority...

Ahhhhh the women of saltspring...are there any so disgustingly evil and twisted by cannibilistic feminist ideology as the herpes plagued women of saltspring?

I don't think I have. That's why I brought it up... just as a point of humour. Funny... haha... laugh! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom