Force Fins, gear choices, closed minds and open minds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lloyd De Jongh

Registered
Reaction score
Dubai, UAE. Originally from Cape Town, South Afric
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi

FYI - This has been posted on ST forum, same name and content, however I am interested in your views as members of the Force Fin sub forum.

As far as fins go, they seem to work - I mean, we're all using a pair. For me, Force Fins work better, much better, so I switched. But dealing with the weird stares and odd questions can get a bit much.

So there I was at my preferred LDS yesterday, getting the inflator hose of my new BCD attached to my reg. Already I've been through a little bit of the awkwardness involved with them servicing equipment that wasn't bought there - and being able to beat their prices by going online.

The shop manager asked to see my gear next time I came in, to see what it was I managed to get online, probably looking for evidence of cheap fakes or something. Next thing, I pull out my fins - and the shop manager starts laughing and asks me if I intend to actually dive with those, or do I have other fins for diving, since I have an upcoming dive with their DM.

I tell him no, these retail for $200, which is almost 800 in the local currency, a heck of a lot of money for any fin here. And these are my fins.

The guy can barely contain himself, thinking I must be the world's dumbest diver. Now considering they've been the best of a generally mediocre bunch I didn't take offense, but I could have decided to. They didn't score any points in any way.

So yeah, as long as you enjoy yourself and know how to come back alive I figure it's your business who you trained with and what you dive with. I just did expect more professionalism from my LDS.

Anyone else get out-of-line reactions from their fellow divers and LDS staff when it came to gear decisions, maybe not just force fins? How did you deal with it?

No, the guys in Karama - in Sana Centre. Great guys, very helpful and willing to bargain on their prices. But to laugh at me over my fins... just seemed a tad unprofessional. I'm looking forward to a dive or two with them if the weather is good next weekend, so no harm.

Who are the guys on Al Wasl? Al Boom?

Lloyd.... The guy just sounds ignorant. My LDS sells Force Fins, so of course no ridicule there. I've encountered scorn from other divers from time to time, but I don't let it get to me. Many of the divers I admire most use Force Fins, and the folks who think they're silly looking and ineffective just don't know any better or are stubbornly set in their ways. Coming from your LDS, the ridicule was uncalled for. Maybe he thought he knew you well enough to be able to have a laugh at your expense, or maybe he's just rude and ill-informed.... Glad you're able to rise above it, though! ...Gale

yeah thats them. I am doing my DM with them at the minute! Diving tomorrow morning our of Al Aqah actually, althought with the weather the way it is then not so sure that i am going to go!!

I'm lucky in the my LDS not only sells them, but most of the instructors and staff use them as well, and lent me a pair to try before i bought them. They have a few pair in the rental dept, just for that purpose.
I've gotten a few remarks when traveling, but when they see how easily I get them on and off, the ease of walking across the diveboat deck, and how manueveable I am in the water when trying to get into position to take a picture, it normally shuts them up.
Bottom line is for some reason, FF's are in the category of LOVE/HATE, much like some celebrities, sports teams or types of music. Some people love them, some people hate them, and there is no in between.

When I learned to dive it was to have fun.
I have seen too many times people getting away from why we dive in the first place.
We have snow on the ground here and the water is very cold with high seas and I usually dive with a 22 yr old woman and we have a blast in our Force Fins. I guess it is just human nature. If a Divemaster from the Persian Gulf has a problem with Force Fins I welcome him to come to Alaska and stay at my Home and see how they work.
Be safe and have fun.
Avi
Force Fin Tester number1

In a sport like scuba diving it is very important to act as professional as possible. I know that it is a fun healthy sport, but it is also one that can kill you it you are not careful. With that in mind we need to be careful not to abuse our knowledge or experience.
For someone, especially a professional to talk down about certain types of equipment it is harmful to the sport and to its growth. We at Force Fin for example believe all fins work, just some work differently than others. We never talk down about certain products or manufactures because they are different. In seeing things that look different from the norm does not make them wrong just different.
It is almost like food. Until you try it you really can’t say if you like it or not. People are strange and some people don’t like the texture of yogurt and that is enough for them not to like yogurt, but to talk bad about yogurt is no good. My best response to people is “have you ever tried them”
VTdiver2 Please let me know who is your LDS I am very interested. Please PM me if you can.
I have used Force Fins for over a decade and in a variety of situations and configurations. Many great things about Force Fins, but I find everyone has their own opinion and why they are the best or why they are no the best. Many have said it before – you are in the love or you are in the not love group about Force Fin. Safe diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom