For those that own a shop.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlickNick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How difficult is it to open up a shop, say down south (Florida, South Carolina)? Is it usually profitable right away? What about also having a charter? I'm kind of mulling the idea over.
Thank you!
-Nick

How difficult is it to open up a shop, say down south (Florida, South Carolina)? Is it usually profitable right away? What about also having a charter? I'm kind of mulling the idea over.
Thank you!
-Nick

It is real easy to start a business, all it takes is money.

Proftable right away? Never! No matter what type of business you start (I am excluding running drugs here...)

I suggest you sit down and drive out a financial plan. Once you see the amount of up front money required for a bricks and mortar operation and figure out your daily revenue, you can then tell yourself how soon you will start to turn a profit.

Question
How do you make a million bucks owning a dive shop?

Answer
Start with two million.

Bob
------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Exactly.

To paraphrase the quote often attributed to auto or motorcycle-racing, (one of my other passions);

How do you make a small fortune racing?

Start with a large one.

The best way to turn a profit doinf anything is to offer a product at a product that is the same or superior to others on the market, for less than it is being offered now. Typically dive shops are operated and maintained for the love of the diving alone. To revisit the raceing analogy, it will cost you everything you have, + 20%. The dive gear distributors/manufacturers are also way behind the times in their thinking. Their business model is based on exclusive brand loyalty, large upfront purchases, and the thought that the economy is fine,
good luck
Eric

I 'intern' at a Tec Shop in Orlando. We pride ourselves in being the cheapest in town and even beat online prices found right off google shopping. Even with a huge client network and frequent returning customers, our income pretty much only comes from open water classes every weekend (10-20 students). Personally, I lose money working there, but the owners stay right about even, just enough funds for them to have fun. Hope it helps! :D

Back
Top Bottom