For divers with beards/mustaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a full beard and/or stash since i was in my late teens and generally don't have a problem with mask leaks anymore. Back when masks were not as good, it could be a problem, we used vasoline from time to time and it was a mess. I'm glad we don't have to deal with that kind of stuff anymore.

Shop around for the right mask. Get one that fits properly. Too many LDS's push the wrong mask for the wrong face type just to sell a mask or brand they are getting the best deal on.

But if all else fails, as Walter points out, get comfortable clearing any leaks. It should not be a big deal if the mask fits reasonable well.

I just love it when my mask is fine for the first 2 dives, then the 3rd dive all the sudden it leaks more then who knows what. My face must've changed shape or my stache grew between the 2nd and 3rd

I just love it when my mask is fine for the first 2 dives, then the 3rd dive all the sudden it leaks more then who knows what. My face must've changed shape or my stache grew between the 2nd and 3rd

... more likely you got a bit of the skirt caught on something like your hood ... or just a small "curl" in the skirt somewhere ... or else you've got one of those faces that wrinkles when you grin, and you're having too much fun on that third dive ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The problem isn't the leaking mask, it's being uncomfortable with a leaking mask. If you practice no mask breathing until it becomes second nature, you will never consider it a problem again. You can do it, it's easy, but does require time to achieve.

I'll agree with Walter on this one. I cut my teeth using an ill-fitting prescription mask, first three years of diving were beardless and I had the mask 10-15% full much of the dive. Then I got a mask that actually fit and went entire dives without leaks. Grew a beard and mustache, and since the mask actually fits, little has changed, maybe a bit of water in the mask every now and then. I'll clear my mask maybe a time or two during a 75 minute dive.

First of all, get a mask that actually fits (lot of divers don't have one or actually know how to even fit a mask properly - but that's another thread). If that doesn't work, then maybe trim that top eighth to quarter inch of hair below your nose, if any water still gets in at that point, get used to it. If you gotta use an aid, chapstick or mustache wax beat petroleum jelly by a mile, they're cheap too.

Back
Top Bottom