For divers with 100+ dives - do you have a "happy place"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, Raja Ampat liveaboard has the best diving I've ever done, by far. But, to meet your description of my happy place, it's a resort with a great house reef. A place I can grab a tank anytime I want, walk into the water and have a great dive.

So far the places I've been, that means Cocoview Roatan and Habitat Curacao. Once I get to Lembeh, Wakatobi, or any other quality indo-pacific resort with a good house reef, I know I'll have a new happy place.

A "Happy Place", it's hard for me to define as each place has it's own kudos. Both Liveaboards we've done are right at the top as a "Happy Place" (PNG-Star Dancer & Diversity-Coral Sea, Aus.)
The diving off Little Cayman has to be the top "Happy Place" in the Caribbean, that isn't to say there are'nt other "Happy Places", T&C, the Brac, Bonaire, the Red Sea, diving off Africa, Grand Cayman, Coz, Hawaii, I'm attached to diving memories with "Happy Places". If you mean the best, how do you know you've been there, try some other areas to dive, I would like to try Roatan, Dominica, Saba, and Mozambique and Fiji.

Last edited:
A "Happy Place", it's hard for me to define as each place has it's own kudos. Both Liveaboards we've done are right at the top as a "Happy Place" (PNG-Star Dancer & Diversity-Coral Sea, Aus.)
The diving off Little Cayman has to be the top "Happy Place" in the Caribbean, that isn't to say there are other "Happy Places", T&C, the Brac, Bonaire, the Red Sea, diving off Africa, Grand Cayman, Coz, Hawaii, I'm attached to diving memories with "Happy Places". If you mean the best, how do you know you've been there, try some other areas to dive, I would like to try Roatan, Dominica, Saba, and Mozambique and Fiji.

My definition of "Happy Place" is the ONE place that, now that you have been there, ALL other destinations must live up to! The ONE place that, in your heart, is the best for YOU.
Not everyone has a "happy place" either..... I didn't have one for 8 yrs of diving all over the world until I went to CCV. It hits all the right notes for me (diving ease 24/7, incredible house reef, small resort with A+ dive op and staff, really good boat diving 4X a day, excellent walls and macro life, great food and diver atmosphere, great staff, secluded resort with no non-divers, no kids, quiet,....) and looking back at everywhere else I have been, it is head and shoulders above the others in most categories. Yes, some destinations have special things about them that I love and that make me want to go back - but CCV is now my Gold standard for which all other dive destinations must compare. Right now, for ME, I can't see another resort meeting MY needs better than CCV. Yes, I will go other places no and then, but I am definitely going to become a regular CCV visitor. :D

robin:D

I have to say, when I go to my "happy place," it's usually on top of a wall, with gorgeous coral and sponge formations and great vis and deep blue warm water. I'm floating along as if weightless, hovering over something like the Grand Canyon. I look up to see an orb of white/yellow - the sun's rays gently glowing through the top of the water column. Sometimes a turtle or a ray appears, sometimes it's just random fish shadowing me. The memories come from places like Roatan (stayed at CCV), Cozumel, Saba, and Curacao. It's not a specific place, but a state of mind I seek. As for a desitnation, topside and diving, I love Cozumel. The people, the great restaurants, the peace that place brings me, the affordability. I've had to change tactics in the cruise ship age of Coz, to find places that aren't overrun, but it can be done. I'm heading to Bonaire later this month, maybe it'll usurp Coz for my fav destination. Maybe it'll add to the memories of my diving happy place.

From the time I started diving until 2 mos ago it was Boynton Beach, FL. And that is while I have been traveling all over Carribean.

But, now I have a new one......wow...I can't get her out of my mind and can't wait to go back. Bonaire. I loved every minute of it from the shore dives to the condo to the restaurants to the friends I made. The dives were mesmerizing and I still can't get over the amount of stuff we saw.

I know it will change again as I continue to travel and discover new places. But, for now, Bonaire is #1.

My definition of "Happy Place" is the ONE place that, now that you have been there, ALL other destinations must live up to! The ONE place that, in your heart, is the best for YOU.
Not everyone has a "happy place" either..... I didn't have one for 8 yrs of diving all over the world until I went to CCV. It hits all the right notes for me (diving ease 24/7, incredible house reef, small resort with A+ dive op and staff, really good boat diving 4X a day, excellent walls and macro life, great food and diver atmosphere, great staff, secluded resort with no non-divers, no kids, quiet,....) and looking back at everywhere else I have been, it is head and shoulders above the others in most categories. Yes, some destinations have special things about them that I love and that make me want to go back - but CCV is now my Gold standard for which all other dive destinations must compare. Right now, for ME, I can't see another resort meeting MY needs better than CCV. Yes, I will go other places no and then, but I am definitely going to become a regular CCV visitor. :D

robin:D

Well, I had a "happy place" but now it's pretty much wrecked. I had a timeshare on Cayman Brac since 89' but the last hurricane plus the actions of the "Divi" corporation wrecked the Divi Tiara, so now it remains great in my memory and gone from the list of "happy places"!

The best place and most $$$ I've ever spent but I am going back - The Galapagos Islands. Hammerhead schools over you and even with a point & shoot (shutter lag) I got terrific pictures. Then the whale sharks, they are HUGE. There's also the Galapagos sharks, the silky sharks, etc, etc. And more unique fish. I've seen many fancy tailed trumpet fish but yellow ones and orange ones?

The good thing, now that I have a snuggle buddy, it will be sooooooooo much better.

Had to think about this one but I'm going to go with Santos in Vanuatu (President Coolidge Wreck).
The wreck was impressive and I had many happy dives on it. As it's so massive, you have to do several dives to really appreciate it. I'm just sorry I missed the night dive.
On land, it was quiet, tropical and the people I spent time with were great fun.
AND the steaks and lobsters were superb - and affordable!

I offer to bring "Herself" along on any one of the many dive trips I take each year. She prefers to wait for our annual trip to CCV. (In terms of diving, the Caribbean is not to be compared to the South Pacific, but CoCoView's South Shore of Roatan offers the best there is in the Mar Caribe) The overall experience makes CCV 'home" to many people.

RobinT (the OP here) had about 3,765 questions before she went for her first trip, and afterwards? The place has that effect on people. It becomes a standard by which serious divers measure all other dive operations. Again, don't confuse the critters and conditions as a comparison- it is the Caribbean- although it is the most interesting to be had in that world zone.

We have also found Puerto Galera in the Philippines, specifically the service and dive operations at the Hotel Atlantis to be our Southern Pacific happy place. Scuba Diving at Atlantis Puerto Galera - Atlantis Dive Resorts - Philippines (Dumaguete and Puerto Galera)

I have been aboard many, many liveabaords. When I step aboard the Nekton, that's my "mobile happy place". It goes beyond the familiarity with the machine itself. It's the ride, the good crews, the management attitude.

Back
Top Bottom