for Aquarena "science divers"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you're an "Aquarena science diver" and didn't get the word, Bridget's planning some hefty diving work early January. I've attached her message below...

... I wanted to remind you that the park will be closed the public
from January 5th to January 9th. We need divers to come and help with
some major transplanting of natives and removing of exotics, in this
optimal no boat running environment! We have recently purchased a
compressor that we can put on the divebarge and use it to float massive
plants we want to remove, then the harvester picks it up. We are also
using it to run the airlift which can suck up silt and algae. Exciting
new toys! Come and join us in this major habitat restoration event!

If I don't have to work that week, I might come down and help out. I just don't know for sure yet. Hey Larry -- are you going?

ScubaTexan:
Hey Larry -- are you going?

Bridget seems to be psychic about setting up these events when I'm out of town. The family & I will be enjoying a week at Grand Bahama then. [Sorry , but not too sorry!]

Dave Strizinger emailed me looking for a buddy - so I'm expecting there are a few that can turn out. Enjoy!

ive never heard of the science divers but i have family in Austin within commuting distance of Aquarena. is there room for an estranged Dallas diver?

Phazeshyft:
ive never heard of the science divers but i have family in Austin within commuting distance of Aquarena. is there room for an estranged Dallas diver?

The "Science Divers" are folks that have been trained to dive at Aquarena. The short explaination is that the property is owned by the State AND is an endangered species site AND is a TX antiquities protected area. So the rules are basically that you have to take [and pass] the class - then have permission and a task assigned to be able to dive there. Do a search on "Aquarena" and you'll see some of both the good stuff and the frustrated about diving there.

Of course, for me - it's within 20 miles - I'm a regular, etc... - so, despite all the other really good suggestions in the other thread about winter places to dive in TX - this is by far my favorite!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom