Foldspear FAIL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never tried to dive with my foldspear pouch as it seemed too floppy, instead I have just carried it folded up in my hand folded up, using one of the elastic straps wrapped around it to keep it tidy, or bungied it to my lobster snare.

I might make a trip to the local hardware store to buy the parts to make the lion fish tamer, looks like you could make it for just a few bucks...metal rod, cable ferrules, nylon rope, surgical tubing and zip ties.

I never tried to dive with my foldspear pouch as it seemed too floppy, instead I have just carried it folded up in my hand folded up, using one of the elastic straps wrapped around it to keep it tidy, or bungied it to my lobster snare.

I might make a trip to the local hardware store to buy the parts to make the lion fish tamer, looks like you could make it for just a few bucks...metal rod, cable ferrules, nylon rope, surgical tubing and zip ties.

You could make something like it. The engineering to make it safe and the patent pending make it worth the purchase. I'll send you one for $34.95 and I'll pay the post. It works, is easy to tote and is available.

Fritz, Have you seen the new Lion Tamer? Small, easy to carry, and safe.

Last friday was the 1st day that Randy Jordan had made up enough stock to sell since the product is only a week old. Lionfish are so soft, I blunted the tip on mine and there is no way it can hurt when you push it on the palm of your hand.

There's a facebook video here. I took some pictures also to show people.

The Lion Tamer is very simple and safe to use. There is a slider in the center of the rod, and you grab the top and stretch the rubber band back, then let it go.

I had seen in some of the other threads that Randy was working on a design exclusively for lionfish. I watched the videos and the only thing about it is, call me a bit of a pansy but that device seems to put the diver's hands just a little too close to those lionfish spines for my comfort. If there were a lot of surge or the lionfish happened to move a bit, it looks like that diver might get a nasty sting - and I've heard a lionfish jab makes it feel like your hand has been slammed in a car door.

I would be more comfortable with something that kept my hands on the order of 3-4 feet away myself. Then again, there doesn't seem to be anything about Randy's device that couldn't work with a longer skewer, and I congratulate him on such a simple, effective design.

What's important is that we Florida divers take along something to help with the lionfish problem. Hunters already have their tools, what we need is something portable and effective for the rest of us so we can help with the lionfish problem when we spot one doing whatever it is we do underwater. I suspect we'll all find tools we like, and Randy's looks to be a good option.

Nets are another possibility. A dive buddy of mine bought a short Beauchat spearpistol on sale at Force-E this past weekend and successfully used it on a lionfish off Marathon, so that looks like a good option as well (needs a good holster tho).

As long as they all result in more dead Lionfish, it's all good!

Andy at Foldspear.com did respond to my email from yesterday - always a good sign to know that your gripes have been heard - and the good news is, he's aware of the strap problem and the complaints that the Foldspear is too long for lionfish hunting and will be releasing new models of both in the very near future (a few months).

This is the salient part of his reply:

When I come out with my new version of the Foldspear and holster in a few months I also plan to start selling 4 foot versions for lionfish hunting, since I've been getting a lot of requests lately. Unfortunately it won't reduce the cost because all of the expense is in running a business, threading the ends, holster, band, etc., and the two tubes are not significant. The funny thing is that for the first 6-1/2 years I've been selling the Foldspear all of my customers have been asking for longer spears, telling me that 6' is too short for them, and now everyone wants a shorter spear. It won't make the folded up spear any shorter, but should be a little more manageable in the water.

He said this is the first time he's heard complaints about the velcro closure being inadequate and will consider modifying that as well.

So the good news is, in this case the product manufacturer is listening to us and trying to keep up with our demands. If you have any more suggestions about the Foldspear, please contact Andy at info@foldspear.com.

You could make something like it. The engineering to make it safe and the patent pending make it worth the purchase. I'll send you one for $34.95 and I'll pay the post. It works, is easy to tote and is available.

While I appreciate the offer, there are no unique parts there to make it worth the markup for me. I could probably make 7 or 8 for that price, and am quite capable of any 'engineering' required.

My elastic straps loosen up on every dive, and sometimes it's a real pain coming up the ladder as the holster is loose from my body and hangs up on a rung or the platform.

It sounds like the strap problem is definitely high on his list of things to fix, Deb. I also suggested he should consider selling the holsters separately and strapless, along with a tube of Aqua-Seal so we could simply glue the holster onto our wetsuits, like the techies often do for a utility pocket.

In fact, I'm considering doing that very thing with my now-empty pouch in anticipation of the new shorter Foldspear - once I can find someone to sew some more Velcro on it!

FritzCat66, is your tip attached to the foldspear while it is in the case? I have a paralyzer and if it is on the foldspear, the end segment is way too long to fit in the case....this is another reason that I don't use the case while I am diving.

I have that problem as well when using the paralyzer. The holster is just a total PITA.

It sounds like the strap problem is definitely high on his list of things to fix, Deb. I also suggested he should consider selling the holsters separately and strapless, along with a tube of Aqua-Seal so we could simply glue the holster onto our wetsuits, like the techies often do for a utility pocket.

In fact, I'm considering doing that very thing with my now-empty pouch in anticipation of the new shorter Foldspear - once I can find someone to sew some more Velcro on it!

Fritz, I do not know your location, but...I was in Ft Lauderdale last week, and after going to four different places I finally got directed to a luggage shop on Sunrise Bl just before the ICW, at the bottom of the bridge, in the shopping center. this guy could fix anything, including the zipper on my dive bag which was why i needed him in the first place. Anyway, he could help fix the holster so you would not lose anything, or sew the velcro on to it for you. Anyway, just trying to give thanks to a guy who helped out a tourist who needed assistance.......Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom