Foldspear FAIL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FritzCat66

Florida Reef Cat
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the middle Keys yesterday, on the boat heading out to my ninth dive with the Foldspear strapped to my leg for lionfish termination, I reach down to adjust it and it's GONE! Just an empty holster on my leg. Velcro is STILL ATTACHED and closed.

My only conclusion is that it slipped out the rather large gaps on the sides, so my red Foldspear now lies somewhere near Horseshoe reef off Marathon. The little one-inch velcro strip way down the flap just isn't sufficient to keep the flap closed enough to keep the spear from sliding out the gaps.

This has not been my first problem with the Foldspear holster. Diving Jupiter the other weekend, carrying my Foldspear for the first time, I had some serious problems with the straps that are supposed to hold the holster on your leg, which I mentioned in this post.

Therefore, speaking as someone who is not primarily a hunter but would like to carry something to help eradicate lionfish, my judgement of the Foldspear is: Great spear (altho a bit too long for lionfish hunting, but you can remove a couple segments), but a VERY POOR holster.

So, while I would appreciate it if someone finds and returns my Foldspear (it's a red one, with a non-standard trident tip, lost at Horseshoe reef, or possibly Herman's Hole), I will be shopping for a new lionfish eradicator. Something that can be carried easily and reliably, but stays out of the way unless and until you need it.

Last edited:
BTW, I just emailed the Foldspear folks a fair notice about my gripes regarding their holster. Let's see what they have to say about the issue.

I'm really sorry to read this, Fritz. I myself was going to write to them about my gripes with the holster. The elastic straps are very fliimsy, and the stitching is already giving way on the holster. The spear is beautifully engineered. The holster...is not. Please let me know what they say.

It's possible that this may have been addressed (in part) already. While the holster on mine does seem like it could benifit from some heavier material, the flap seems secure. The velcro strip is about 3 inches long. The straps are elastic, and to me it would make more sense to have them made out of a webbing, like BC straps.

My elastic straps loosen up on every dive, and sometimes it's a real pain coming up the ladder as the holster is loose from my body and hangs up on a rung or the platform.

Fritz, Have you seen the new Lion Tamer? Small, easy to carry, and safe.

Last friday was the 1st day that Randy Jordan had made up enough stock to sell since the product is only a week old. Lionfish are so soft, I blunted the tip on mine and there is no way it can hurt when you push it on the palm of your hand.

There's a facebook video here. I took some pictures also to show people.

The Lion Tamer is very simple and safe to use. There is a slider in the center of the rod, and you grab the top and stretch the rubber band back, then let it go.

IMG_3630.jpg

Stretch and POP !!

IMG_3631.jpg

Has an Integrated Wrist Strap !!

IMG_3632.jpg

Not a Projectile, Very Safe !!

LT_multiple.sized.jpg

InterActive Display Demo

Customers will have fun Popping
the Lion Fish Demo Display Box

Retail pricing was $34.99 at the tent sale.

Randy Jordan has all the information and can answer questions

PH 561-248-8332
Email - Randy@EmeraldCharters.com

I'm just passing along an economical and great idea that I'm using now too.

All these failures seeing hints about the hereafter...sad, soooo very sad.
When you get Up There at THE END of all of this extemporizing in our meager existences here and see Whatever/Whomever You Call The Supreme Being swimming there on THE Throne, you might have time to think, "Oh damn, that guy was right... " just before you're jettisoned down to the Fires of Hell.
Hey look, I have no illusions about where I'm going, but I'm kinda hoping for some kind of evil minion status down below. I don't expect much - maybe a liver-jabber and pitch-pourer for the first ten billion years. I'm willing to start the bottom and work my way lower.
I want to make this offer to you ardent and misguided extemporializationists here - show up at the Gates of Hell with a Scubaboard sticker, and the first 10,000 jabs and removal of your liver followed by a dousing of flaming hot pitch in the wound are waived.
This is only for your livers now... if I'm on the circular saw division desectioning your legs slowly, I'm gonna have to do the full measure on ya's. It's nothing personal... I'll just be following orders.
Keep after them evil lionfishies!

The Lion Fish Tamer looks like a nice piece of KISS engineering. Definitely on Santa's list.

All these failures seeing hints about the hereafter...sad, soooo very sad.
When you get Up There at THE END of all of this extemporizing in our meager existences here and see Whatever/Whomever You Call The Supreme Being swimming there on THE Throne, you might have time to think, "Oh damn, that guy was right... " just before you're jettisoned down to the Fires of Hell.
Hey look, I have no illusions about where I'm going, but I'm kinda hoping for some kind of evil minion status down below. I don't expect much - maybe a liver-jabber and pitch-pourer for the first ten billion years. I'm willing to start the bottom and work my way lower.
I want to make this offer to you ardent and misguided extemporializationists here - show up at the Gates of Hell with a Scubaboard sticker, and the first 10,000 jabs and removal of your liver followed by a dousing of flaming hot pitch in the wound are waived.
This is only for your livers now... if I'm on the circular saw division desectioning your legs slowly, I'm gonna have to do the full measure on ya's. It's nothing personal... I'll just be following orders.
Keep after them evil lionfishies!
Tom, your posts are getting weirder and weirder........

(still like 'em, however!!!)

This is only for your livers now...

Speaking of livers, have you been trying to drown yours? :drunks:

I'm having a bit of a problem following your train of thought here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom