Folding diving knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another Spyderco Salt here. Put a loop of bungee on it and wrap it around some webbing. Don't even have to pull the bungee off to remove the knife, just pull up and it will pop off. This is almost 300 dives (almost all saltwater), just gets a dip in freshwater rinse bucket post-dive still attached to my backplate.
Clever! Thanks.

I received my Spyderco Salt 2 Wharncliff. Pretty impressive edge and feels nice in hand. Now need to figure out how to mount it onto my Hydros Pro BCD. I’m leaning toward the bungee method @SD Climber recommends as my rash guard is too thin to use the wrist pocket method recommended by @Akimbo .

My particular model is the Saver Salt for anyone wondering which size that is.

I carry a cheap locking folder in one drysuit pocket, and one of these in the other.

Both have bolt snaps attached and get clipped to bungee loops inside the pocket.

DW

knives.jpg

I received my Spyderco Salt 2 Wharncliff. Pretty impressive edge and feels nice in hand. Now need to figure out how to mount it onto my Hydros Pro BCD. I’m leaning toward the bungee method @SD Climber recommends as my rash guard is too thin to use the wrist pocket method recommended by @Akimbo .
I've been using the Wharncliff for two years now and its been fantastic. I've got it attached to the zipper eyelet of a BC pocket with a thin piece of climbing accessory cord that I wrap around the knife and simply keep it in the pocket. The cord is basically the length of my arm - the distance from my pocket to my hand, plus a bit - allowing me to use it unencumbered and allowing the zipper to open and close easily. The cord can be cut if needed, to free up the knife for any additional freedom of movement required, and since it's inexpensive replacement is easy.

Is that a Ti Mission Knife? They have some pretty cool designs, providing you're willing to pay the $$. Not up there with custom hand made, but certainly one of the premium production outfits.
It is a Mission MPK12 that I have owned for a while but recently started using at work. I dive with it at work a couple to 3 times a week and it is holding up well. It did not cut as I would like at first but I sharpened it on my Wicked Edge sharpening system to a polished 18 degree per side angle and it is cutting very well now and holding up good also. I do not think there are any custom makers putting out a better Titanium Dive knife at least that I know of. Let me know if you have seen any because I would like to look into one.
I do have a Randall 16 that cuts a little better, but I would rather tear up the Mission knife, they are easier to get. I also have an old 1990's Scubapro knife that is not too bad, but again I had to put a new edge on it to make it cut properly.

trinity.jpg

Scubapro Ti.jpg

Attachments

• 20220920_130440.jpg
    20220920_130440.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Mission MP12.jpg
    Mission MP12.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 41
I use a couple of the Spyderco Salt series knives. The Caribbean model is the newer L200N blade steel and seems to be pretty much impervious to corrossion, also the edge lasts a bit longer than the H1 blades. I also have a couple with the H1 blades. If you have the technology to sharpen your blade then they are ok, depending on how much you really use it.
New Salt LC200N.jpg

knives.jpg

Back
Top Bottom