Fold up fins, so you can easily walk into the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A broken hinge at 100 feet can be a big problem.
Sounds like a training problem. I teach all of my OW students to manage without a mask or with just one fin. It's not that hard really.

The Amphibian website at

Omega Aquatics

makes a big deal about "the future". You can't predict the future without knowing about the past as well. If you ignore the past, you end up repeating the mistakes of the past. The "Caravelle" fins below were developed in the early 1960s:

caravelle.png

The Caravelles, like the Amphibians, allowed divers to walk around as well as swim without removing their feet from the foot pockets. The Caravelles were certainly acknowledged to be technologically innovative in their time, but doomed to be a commercial failure in the long run.

I'm delighted that the Amphibians resonate with certain divers who believe that they have now found their "perfect fin". However, everybody has different sized feet in terms of length and width as well as different styles of swimming and different diving scenarios, so it's unlikely that we will all agree on one particular type of fin, let alone one particular model. Vive la différence!

Sounds like a training problem. I teach all of my OW students to manage without a mask or with just one fin. It's not that hard really.

And it's not hard to avoid a "broken hinge" altogether.

Assuming you teach your OW students a CESA, would you be in favor of lightweight paper mache regulators?

:eyebrow:

I can think of another situation where these types of fins come in handy. Public Safety Divers. In a dept where we can get dressed in the back of a truck, it is one less thing we have to do when we get on scene of an incident. Having fins on and still offering full mobility (with in reason) on shore would be a great plus.

They have come down in price and like many new products they will no doubt make some improvements. That said, if you do a majority of shore or surf entries, these fins are a must, regardless of your flexibility.

You blame other people from critising an item without testing it... and now you do the same by stating that for everybody who does alot of shore entries this is a must.

I'll give you my solution to your problem. Springstraps.

I do about 80 shore dives a year... this means crawling down slippery walls to the water. I need foot flexibility to do this. I don't believe your fins will provide this.

Next to that if you use springstraps putting on fins takes not even 5 secs a fin in water.

And it's not hard to avoid a "broken hinge" altogether.

Assuming you teach your OW students a CESA, would you be in favor of lightweight paper mache regulators?

:eyebrow:
We have yet to have anyone complain about a broken hinge and here you are comparing this gear to paper mache'. I don't get it. I do get that you don't like it, and so in your eyes it has no value. But I don't get your rancor toward this product. Not at all. How did they piss you off? Was it the fact that it wasn't YOUR idea? Is this product somehow hurting you? Do you see it as endangering divers? Please tell us why you feel so strongly that this is bad equipment.

Was it the fact that it wasn't YOUR idea?

Remember, you're talking to the guy that just came up with the paper mache regulator!

:D

As a marketing professional I'll defer to the marketplace to determine whether the product is a good idea.

Now if only they would make the "fold Up" fin in a split fin version.

This was touched on in the "split-fin" bash thread :) Someone mentioned adding a zipper to make them go from split to full fin.
I coined 'em "flip n' zips":rofl3:

Sorry couldn't resist....if you like 'em go for it!

My concern is more in the fact of wear and tear of the fins. You dive lets say for a # of years, the snaps inevitably wear down and while you are diving and need fin power to get out of a situation the snaps continously snap off because they cant take the force of finning and presuming the fins start acting up at the same time due to even wear and tear.

Don't mind RJP, the J stands for "Luddite".

I'm sure MikeGuerrero has already done several sea trials with these fins, wonder why he's not in this thread.

:rofl3:

(just teasing guys)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom