Flying with Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have traveled extensively with my aluminum 40. A lot of my diving is Solo and so I take it with me on every trip. I have flown to Fiji, Saint Croix, Aruba and Sri Lanka with my little tank. My experience has been different every single time. Sometimes TSA doesn’t blink, and other times I’ve been held up for 30 minutes. Sometimes the airline baggage people hold me up, and sometimes they let me go right in, sometimes the gate ticket agent has a problem, and sometimes someone on the airplane has the problem. Once I have checked the cylinder as luggage but I almost always carry it on. At that time I also was required to open the cylinder and prove there was no contained gas.

My experience is that Most people don’t really understand what TSA or the particular Airlines policy is. I have never ultimately been told that I cannot take the cylinder with me. However it has taken talking to the boss’s boss’s boss sometimes.

If I am really concerned, I will pull up the Airlines policy on my phone to show people, but that has never stopped someone from telling me no. It is usually from a lack of experience on their side. I always undo the valve after letting out all of the gas. I keep the valve in a sealed plastic bag and another plastic bag with a rubber band around the top of the cylinder. This is because Individuals often want to visually inspect the cylinder. Once through TSA or whatever the countries equivalent safety check, I replace the valve and carry the cylinder by the valve. I will usually have to undo the valve once or twice to show someone else.

I do sometimes question whether or not it is “worth it”. I just returned from Fiji two weeks ago where all of my diving was Out of a resort. It was not sophisticated diving and they would not let me use their tanks to do any solo or shore dives. I had all of my own gear and just had them fill my aluminum 40. I did a handful of dives just using my 40. I was never all that deep, and still had nice 45 minute dives.

I always carry A din-yoke converter and a din to yoke valve for fills. My cylinder is DIN. I have found that most places have a hard time filling ID AN valve, so I bring my own converter.

It is a little inconvenient, but for my diving style, I have found that I am very comfortable with it and it’s worth it for me.

Merdiano's has steel tanks for rent. You could contact your operator and I would bet they could arrange it.

Really? What do they have in steel? Can you get them in nitrox? And do they fill them to 3000?

I have traveled extensively with my aluminum 40. A lot of my diving is Solo and so I take it with me on every trip. I have flown to Fiji, Saint Croix, Aruba and Sri Lanka with my little tank. My experience has been different every single time. Sometimes TSA doesn’t blink, and other times I’ve been held up for 30 minutes. Sometimes the airline baggage people hold me up, and sometimes they let me go right in, sometimes the gate ticket agent has a problem, and sometimes someone on the airplane has the problem. Once I have checked the cylinder as luggage but I almost always carry it on. At that time I also was required to open the cylinder and prove there was no contained gas.

And for that, I would be very concerned about checking a steel 100. I don't care what the regs say, it's not something the TSA agents see every day and I can just see some agent confiscating it. You're not there to challenge it, you'll just arrive and find a slip of paper in place of your tank. If you're lucky you might get your tank back after your trip.

Really? What do they have in steel? Can you get them in nitrox? And do they fill them to 3000?

They have a whole corner with steel tanks. I have never rented them so I don't know. I assume they are mid pressure Fabers if I recall correctly. Definitely some bigger tanks.

Someone mentioned earlier that tanks were no longer allowed on the ferry from Coz to the mainland. Is this true? If so and he is flying into Cozumel this could pose an insurmountable problem. If flying into Cancun and taking the ferry over to Coz he would have to store the tanks on the mainland.

There was a new sign at the ferries in October that listed items that are not allowed and scuba tanks is one of them. The sign didn't say anything about any exceptions. I guess I should have taken a picture of the sign. And I was worried about the metal detectors that you now have to walk through because of the SS backplate in my luggage. From what I saw the metal detectors are just for show. Maybe they are actually some highly sophisticated bomb detectors tuned to gunpowder or plastic explosives.

How difficult is it to use a SS backplate and attach doubles with four cam-bands? I've only used singles with mine but I'm pretty sure it's an option. Like someone said, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an AL80. My Zeagle Express Tech wing also accepts double tanks, I just haven't tried it. Since one AL80 is included on just about any dive boat then they might charge a couple of bucks for the second tank, but probably not mucho dinero.

Maybe they are actually some highly sophisticated bomb detectors tuned to gunpowder or plastic explosives.

They looked more like expensive dust collectors, like the elliptical in my house, when I went through PDC to catch the ferry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom