Flying with Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to work in the specialty gas industry and I dealt with high pressure gas cylinders all the time. With those containers it took a hefty machine to remove and install valves, and the torquing values on installation were specific. Are SCUBA tanks the same?

I don't know what official specs say but I've seen lots of valves installed. They are really not torqued beyond hand tight and a half turn, in my observations. The pressure will lock it in place.

Valve and cylinder specs I have seen, which are several, are 40-50 ft. lbs.
Can't do that by hand tightening, I know how much I have to lean into it and how firmly I have to clamp the tank when I do.

I have seen 15" wrench and a mallet used, but can't say how much torque that applies. You know, in case you want to travel with a mallet and a long wrench...

One could always order some to pick up in Mexico (possibly at Dive Rite in Playa del Carmen) and not have to deal with transporting cylinders on airliners at all.

I've got all sorts of stuff at the house, even weights, but I don't really envision ever needing or wanting to deal with my own tanks in Mexico.

Have you considered a sidemount BCD? I've seen one person in Cozumel dive sidemounts from a boat, not the easiest water entry but the managed.

Ok, maybe I should have asked if anyone has personal experience flying tanks on Southwest.

As mentioned, if the valve has to come off for travel, it needs to go back on with the appropriate torque and I won't have those tools available. Getting a dive shop to do it will probably involve getting charged for VIP/Hydro too.

The places I'm most likely going after Cozumel (Mahahual/Xcalak/Cabo Pulmo) don't rent steel tanks. I'm an air hog. I dive with some guys who have 15-25 years experience and thousands of dives. I don't think they breathe at all. Every dive I go on with them will either end short or involve me diving my air and waiting on the boat for 15 minutes.

Southwest allows two 50lb checked bags for free. An HP100 weighs around 38lbs empty and Southwest has no problem with you checking them, provided they are empty and packed well. That means I can still pack another 24 pounds in my checked baggage. And I'll have plenty of room in my two carry-on bags for everything else I'll need.

So yeah, they're heavy and a PITA, but unless someone in PDC/Cozumel is willing to sell me a couple of HP100s for $300 each, this is my main option right now.

Ok, maybe I should have asked if anyone has personal experience flying tanks on Southwest.

As mentioned, if the valve has to come off for travel, it needs to go back on with the appropriate torque and I won't have those tools available. Getting a dive shop to do it will probably involve getting charged for VIP/Hydro too.

The places I'm most likely going after Cozumel (Mahahual/Xcalak/Cabo Pulmo) don't rent steel tanks. I'm an air hog. I dive with some guys who have 15-25 years experience and thousands of dives. I don't think they breathe at all. Every dive I go on with them will either end short or involve me diving my air and waiting on the boat for 15 minutes.

Southwest allows two 50lb checked bags for free. An HP100 weighs around 38lbs empty and Southwest has no problem with you checking them, provided they are empty and packed well. That means I can still pack another 24 pounds in my checked baggage. And I'll have plenty of room in my two carry-on bags for everything else I'll need.

So yeah, they're heavy and a PITA, but unless someone in PDC/Cozumel is willing to sell me a couple of HP100s for $300 each, this is my main option right now.
Seems like you are focused on HP100 steel. Any chance they have HP100 aluminum available to rent? Steel buoyancy characteristics might be a bit nicer, but if aluminum is available would steel really be worth all that extra cost and aggravation just to avoid adding few more pounds to your rig?

Folks...

Can't offer any advise on large tanks...travel regularly with small RB tanks 3AL 19's...with valves off...tank tops covered with clear packing tape...valves sealed in zip-lock storage bags...I identify the suitcase at check-in as being filled with dive gear...

Maybe I've been lucky...but I've never had a problem...RB travels as carry-on...

As an alternative to travelling with large steel tanks... travel with a doubles manifold...7.25 in. bands/bolt assemblies and make up a set of AL doubles at destination with rented AL 80's...I know several divers that do this...you will need a little extra lead time at the destination LDS to set up the doubles...and a small ratchet with a short ''socket extension...

One of my guys happens to be in the shop now and advised one destination LDS offered to buy the manifold and bands...so there was no disassembly and removal at the end of the trip...

All serviced tanks leave my shop with valves ''hand tight'' only...no wrenches ever...Big K bank cylinders...with tapered threads...different story...

Best...

Warren

Luxfer's Scuba Cylinder Inspection Guide, page 21:
upload_2018-12-18_20-38-49.png

What operation are you diving with in Cozumel? I know that's not Playa but maybe Aldora would rent you a tank or sell you a used one?????

I have two brand new never dived AL80's sitting here and when I move to Cozumel in the spring, I may just leave them here, seems like a hassle.

Does Meridiano 87 on Cozumel rent Al 100 cf tanks? If so rent them take them to mainland, dive and fill, dive and fill... and bring them back.

Back
Top Bottom