Flying with Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was waiting to see if you planned LP or HP tanks. For the HP100’s you mentioned consider that they are only full at the higher pressure, usually 3442. If not filled to this working pressure they will not give you 100 cf. This was a problem for some when they first starting using the HP tanks in some areas. You may want to check with your planned dive ops to see if they can even fill the tanks to their full rated pressure.

Same with the Alumnium 100’s in Cozumel. They are only filled to 3000 which makes them roughly 92’s instead of 100’s

Some airlines let you bring sports equipment including dive gear but you check it in at a different location than the usual checked luggage. I've seen lots of people bringing snow skis, rifles, etc that were much longer than the normal suitcase allowances. If I was going to bring tanks I'd try to find some rolling luggage that it/they would fit into otherwise you'd need wheels on the tank boot. If you are taking the ADO bus they seem to be very flexible--just about anything that will fit under the bus seems to be OK. From what I have read, as long as you remove the valve it shouldn't be a problem. I have removed and replaced many scuba valves over the years and I simply hand-tighten and then whack it with my palm and have never had an issue.

Be advised that scuba tanks are no longer allowed on the Cuzumel/Playa ferries, just in case you decide to visit the island.

The places I'm most likely going after Cozumel (Mahahual/Xcalak/Cabo Pulmo) don't rent steel tanks. I'm an air hog. I dive with some guys who have 15-25 years experience and thousands of dives. I don't think they breathe at all. Every dive I go on with them will either end short or involve me diving my air and waiting on the boat for 15 minutes.

Sidemount two AL80's.

Take the valve off, put the tank in a foam lined Pelican Case with a TSA lock, check it in baggage and Bob's Your Uncle. My 2psi. Mark

Southwest allows two 50lb checked bags for free. An HP100 weighs around 38lbs empty and Southwest has no problem with you checking them, provided they are empty and packed well. That means I can still pack another 24 pounds in my checked baggage.
Don’t forget the weight of the luggage itself. Often around 10 lbs. So that’s 38 + 10 + packing. I think those tanks will be your checked.

Another option might be to just buy a small bottle and sling it to extend your dive. Say a 30 or 40. Heck, you could even rent an extra al 80 locally and sling it.

My thoughts on the...

-As others have said, you need an HP fill to get your HP100 to actually hold 100 cu/ft, this may be tough in Cozumel...

-Maybe look to rent AL100's... I've had great success doing that throughout the Caribbean, even at 3000psi it's still a significant difference between the AL100 and an AL80 (I believe an AL80 is only 77cu/ft @3000psi). Just a FYI the AL100 needs to be at 3300psi to actually hold 100 cu/ft of air...

-Possibly invest in an AL40 (or even an AL30) to sling and use as a stage bottle. This would travel pretty easy... and may be useful further into your diving career... with that in mind you'd need a regulator for it, and the stage kit, so its by no means 'cheap'... but maybe it's easier to travel with...

-Lastly, the only time I dove in Cozumel I used a HP120 steel tank operator... sounded good, until I sent my regulators in for an inspection/ tuning. The were filled with rust particles from a steel tank. The only time they were even on a steel tank was in Cozumel. If you lug your tanks down, be prepared to get some wet fills, IMHO...

With all this in mind I'd rent AL100's and use them... just my 2psi...

Rust in steel tanks is a SERIOUS saftey issue. If there is loose rust particles, going inverted can plug filter and cause an out of air emergency. Please contact the dive OP owner and have them do a visual on all there tanks. Any good dive OP will perform a visual on all there tanks if you identify an issue. Not suggesting the need to air dirty laundry but you need to speak to the owner and not the front desk person.

Ok back to OP. Maybe invest in a Wing and dive twin single (dual regulators vs manifold). Can get smaller 60 or 72 or do dual 80's on the back. Can find 72 and 80s everywhere and now you have some serious gas reserves.

Luxfer's Scuba Cylinder Inspection Guide, page 21:
View attachment 494689

Hey Jack...agree fully...

A few of my guys travel with portable filling and trans-filling equipment and are continually changing components to suit conditions...and isolated sites...

They'd crucify me of I started wrenching tank valves...my RB tank valves are on and off numerous times during the season when travelling...

I make regular road trips annually to NC and N. FLA...I don't travel across the border anymore with full tanks...always empty...valve(s) off...easy access to everything for border inspection...

Best...and thanks...

Warren

The guys I dive with use sidemount doubles a lot of the time, so I may look into that, I'm just always going to be more comfortable with one bigger tank over two AL80s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom