Flying to Curacao from Vancouver, BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akirawut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks. Trying to figure out the best way to get from Vancouver, BC, to Curacao around xmas. As it will be the middle of winter we want to avoid snow trap connections, IE Toronto and New York.

Seems like we need to go through Miami - which results in an overnight at least one way. Anyone know of any good routes between YVR and CUR? Maybe through South America? Something that isn't obvious?

Thanks!

A few years ago a relative came here from Vancouver. They first drove to Seattle and took some planes to Houston and went from there to Curaçao. As I remeber it was a relative inexpensive but long travel, with perhaps some more stops (Arizona?, cannot remember).
And AZ has also snow in he winter, so this may not be the ideal solution.

I am from Vancouver and have been to Curacao three times. Love it!.

We have always flown from SEA through MIA to CUR. We take the night flight and arrive in MIA in the morning. The connection is easy and short. It has always been nearly the same gate for arrival and departure. We arrive in CUR just after noon if I remember correctly. Enough time to settle in, grab a nice dinner and get a night dive in.

It is true that on the way home, we overnight in MIA. The hotel at the airport is affordable and very convenient. The drive to and from SEA is relatively painless. Although we have parked the car at friend's places, extended stay lots are not too expensive (about the same as a taxi between the friend's and airport).

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as I always have.

Make sure you get out to Ocean Encounters West in West Punt. Fabulous diving, great shop. If you do, say Hi to fellow Canadian Bryan (shop manager). Also, if you are there on the weekend, get some dinner at Sol Food and enjoy Sunshine's sunny disposition and great food.

We have spent the last 2 occasions at All West Apartments in West Punt and have absolutely LOVED it. Great dive facilities. Great dive community as neighbors. Arguably the best diving on the island is right outside your patio door at the house reef. Air tanks and gear cleaning/drying facilities are available 24-7 in a secure area. The apartment can come with a vehicle so you can get around the island on your own. AWESOME!!

Have a great time.

Wow! Pricey. But the answer depends on dates. I don't think you want to connect in Venezuela anyway.
Can you get to Dallas direct from Van? Rarely have any issues with weather on a connection through DFW.
Notice that was not said by a Texan. :eyebrow: Dallas developed because of its position on a river that once navigated, Ft.Worth developed because if was a gateway to the west in the area, both grew because of commerce, but it a lousy place for an airport. Horrible spring storms and winter ice storms. Houston, Phoenix, and Miami are all much safer other than hurricane season for two of those.

Wow! Pricey. But the answer depends on dates. I don't think you want to connect in Venezuela anyway.

Notice that was not said by a Texan. :eyebrow: Dallas developed because of its position on a river that once navigated, Ft.Worth developed because if was a gateway to the west in the area, both grew because of commerce, but it a lousy place for an airport. Horrible spring storms and winter ice storms. Houston, Phoenix, and Miami are all much safer other than hurricane season for two of those.

I fly American Airlines - a lot - so I guess my preference is on connecting via DFW relative to connection via ORD. It's all relative, but I can honestly say that in over 3MM miles of air travel I've never been stuck overnight in Dallas... whereas I've got a semi-permanent hotel reservation at the ORD Hilton :p

Thanks for all the replies. I will check the DFW and Seattle angles.

I fly American Airlines - a lot - so I guess my preference is on connecting via DFW relative to connection via ORD. It's all relative, but I can honestly say that in over 3MM miles of air travel I've never been stuck overnight in Dallas... whereas I've got a semi-permanent hotel reservation at the ORD Hilton :p
I've seen DFW closed several times, hotels sold out, people sleeping in terminals - but it can happen anywhere, and I've been flying thru DFW since it opened. DAL Love before that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom