Flying into Cancun, Ways to get to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Believe me, we have looked at all the options. I used to be a pilot for Delta and Northwest Airlines, so I know about every trick to get from one place to another. I can't travel Saturday to Saturday this trip. United is the only airline that goes to Cozumel same day right now, and only on Saturday. My wife is a nurse and works blocks of days on, and then has a block off. It rarely lines up to get a Saturday to a Saturday, so we aren't able to take advantage of that.

The 45 minute layover is a problem as well. We tried to take the direct flight once 3 years ago and we had to deice leaving Great Falls, and missed the connection. Then we had to scramble to get on the Cancun flight, arrange shuttle to playa, take the ferry, etc. Living in Montana you have to accept that you don't have all the flight options of the big cities. We have not taken the charter flight previously, but factoring in the lost wages from 2 days of work, extra hotels, etc., the $450 cost is much cheaper in the end. Of course, it is likely we will be canceling our trip now so we may not get to try the charter this time.
Off topic guitarcentric PM sent.

What about split-city, fly in/out of CZM and in/out of CUN? I haven't found much hit in fares and might ease the situation by half.
He can't fly on Saturdays either way, and besides the connections in Denver are too tight with poor backup choices.
The 45 minute layover is a problem as well. We tried to take the direct flight once 3 years ago and we had to deice leaving Great Falls, and missed the connection. Then we had to scramble to get on the Cancun flight, arrange shuttle to playa, take the ferry, etc. Living in Montana you have to accept that you don't have all the flight options of the big cities.
I've experienced some of that myself flying north & south over the middle of the continent. I didn't have a wife which would have made stress worse, but I was with my daughter's household including my teenage granddaughter and teenage exchange student. The girl from China was nice about challenges but the locally grown teen always adds stress.

Heading north to Rapid City SD to visit Mount Rushmore, we were weather delayed leaving Lubbock, then misconnected in Denver with no backup flights the same day. Our connecting plane was still on the ground, but the gate had closed, and we all know that once that's happened - that's it. Except my daughter convinced them to reopen the gate and put us and our bags on the plane. I was amazed and so proud of my child.

They all absolutely had to be back in Lubbock the night after the Total Eclipse, so the best I could find from West Yellowstone area on our budget was Helena I think. Idaho Falls much closer to where we were going to watch the eclipse south of West Yellowstone, but out of budget. Then the airline let me know that they were canceling our flight totally ruining the booked plan! I hum & hawed with a reservation agent for 30 minutes or so with my sob story, then finally tried my ploy: "Well, the flight out of Idaho Falls would work if you'd honor our booked fares." It worked.

North/south travel across the midcontinent has always been challenging.
We have not taken the charter flight previously, but factoring in the lost wages from 2 days of work, extra hotels, etc., the $450 cost is much cheaper in the end.
Well, Great Falls answers my question about where. There are better choices out of other Montana cities, altho not much better, but Great Falls is even more remote than some others. It looks like Delta still serves Great Falls and that's nice. It looks like you can do the bag drag on return okay with several afternoon departures to choose from. I miss them so, but they pulled out of West Texas long ago - after we had plans booked with them for Washington DC.

Of course, it is likely we will be canceling our trip now so we may not get to try the charter this time.
I hope not. Your wife the nurse certainly deserves a nice vacation.

I hope not. Your wife the nurse certainly deserves a nice vacation.

Here, here! Thank you to your wife (and all other healthcare workers) for their hard work and sacrifice. Hope if you don’t get this trip, another one soon!

Here, here! Thank you to your wife (and all other healthcare workers) for their hard work and sacrifice. Hope if you don’t get this trip, another one soon!
The NFL is giving away 7500 free super bowl tickets to vaccinated health care workers. Their motives are not totally altruistic, of course, but it's still a nice gesture.

I saw the NFL was doing that. It would be nice to go, but I would still rather be chasing after eagle rays in Cozumel. New article in USA today says that quarantine after arrival to US is 'recommended' but not mandatory. After speaking with my boss we have decided to go ahead with our trip. Barring any more unforeseen changes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom