flushing toilet paper not allowed mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon I know just what you mean but I had never put it into context until now. Wow
:lol:​
On which part? The need for lids and baking soda in Mexico, or the need for Mexican nationals to learn to flush paper in the States?

I live in México far from Cozumel and Cancún (Guadalajara), but I can tell you that this practice of not flushing the toilet paper and throwing it to the garbage can is unfortunately used in many hotels and restaurants all over the country. It really disgusts me and I think it's really something anti higienic.

The thing is, In my house, my family and friends houses, and all other houses I've visited, the norm is to flush the toilet paper. Even in the university where I teach some classes, there are signs in the bathrooms asking to flush te paper and not to put it in the garbage.

I don't know about the drain in Cancún and Cozumel, or the septic tanks. I don't think those reasons apply where I live, I have the theory that some people use lots of toilet paper per flush and those people are the ones that clog the drains, and beacuase an hotel must serve every kind of costumer, they must prevent that from happening by asking everyone not to flush the toilet paper. Anyway, In all the hotels and restaurants I've been, I always flush the toilet paper (The idea of having a garbage bin in the room with used toilet paper, is more disgusting than my will to follow that rule), I just don't abuse the ammount of toilet paper I use.

I live with a septic tank, so I'm very empathetic to people who are trying to keep their plumbing open. I don't mind throwing toilet paper in the trash, so long as the trash is emptied frequently enough to keep ammonia odor from being troublesome.

What I don't understand is why you can't throw toilet paper in the OUTHOUSES. Honestly; there are no pipes there! The trucks that empty outhouses in the US can handle toilet paper -- why not the ones in MX?

I believe (and could be completely wrong) that some countries do not use the same diameter waste pipe we do. It is much smaller (like 2") so clogs are very easy with a big wad of paper.

I've always said that one of the great pleasures of returning home is being able to just drop the TP when I'm done. :D

There is a modern and effective sewage treatment plant in Cozumel and I don't know of ANY main line hotels that suggest that you place the TP in the trash. Some inland small hotels and even some restaurants might ask that due to poorly equipped plumbing, or culture.

At the Villa Aldora we just don't allow TP...no problem for us!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

There is a modern and effective sewage treatment plant in Cozumel and I don't know of ANY main line hotels that suggest that you place the TP in the trash. Some inland small hotels and even some restaurants might ask that due to poorly equipped plumbing, or culture.

At the Villa Aldora we just don't allow TP...no problem for us!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

You know I have heard you have good service... Please tell me it is one of those fancy Japanese bidet toilet seats with the water and heated air and not a sponge on a stick…..
:poke:

Never thought I would comment on such a subject Butt (he he) here goes...
Bidet Can be used instead of TP. There are a couple at Villa Aldora (along with the traditional TP).
Use plenty of water while flushing TP to avoid issues.
Besides the places that might have small plumbing pipes there is the issue that most modern TP has cotton in it which doesn't help in the flow dept. Soft on the body but makes for a solid plug in plumbing.
Most septic safe TP is devoid of cotton and can be hard(er) on body part(s).

Back
Top Bottom