Flower Gardens Management Plan Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's more like a dead herring.

If they are concerned about disturbing the fish, then why are they even considering spearfishing? I think the fish will find a metal shaft passing through their body at high speed to be a tad more disturbing than the sound of a boat propellor or the glare of a dive light.

ReefHound:
I think it's more like a dead herring.

If they are concerned about disturbing the fish, then why are they even considering spearfishing? I think the fish will find a metal shaft passing through their body at high speed to be a tad more disturbing than the sound of a boat propellor or the glare of a dive light.

I had the same question. Seems odd!

I've noticed that different species have different reactions to my dive light. Some don't seem to even notice it, others make a rapid retreat, and other actually seem attracted to it. I suspect a similiar response to noise is quite possible, perhaps expected.

Thats what the Closed Circuit rebreather is for! :D

When we were diving in the pool on rebreathers- you could hear the wind blowing across the surface of the pool. The only noise was either me manually injecting gas (o2/diluent) or the solenoid firing. SWEET! :D :11: :D

texdiveguy:
AND you must remain silent at all times.... noise is upsetting the residents!! :wink: :eyebrow:

I think most of the issues they listed had been brought up to them by a number of visitors/divers in the past. I don't know that they would change any policies based on the opinions of responders, but I'm sure they would like to know what the majority of visitors think. Plus, we might be able to raise a point they may have missed.

Why leave the banks open to sport fishermen and closed to spear fishermen?

Why the animosity to spear fishermen?

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
Why leave the banks open to sport fishermen and closed to spear fishermen?

Why the animosity to spear fishermen?

TwoBit

I love to spearfish but there are plenty of oil rigs for that. Why not leave a few spots where the big fish are approachable? There are few people going all the way to FG to surface fish.

ReefHound:
I love to spearfish but there are plenty of oil rigs for that. Why not leave a few spots where the big fish are approachable? There are few people going all the way to FG to surface fish.

Stetson can get covered up in boats. I was on Stetson when we had a sport fisherman repeatedly violate the 100' rule. There were divers in the water.

I agree, East and West probably don't have the fishing pressure that other areas do, but the rules afect the whole sanctuary.

I would rather see the entire sanctuary become no take.

TwoBit

I love fishing and I cant wait to spearfish but the Flower Gardens should stay like they are, its nice to see big fish eyes and not tails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom